Is DDR3 2400mhz useless?

Xavier1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hey all,

I was wondering if there is any point in getting RAM above 1600mhz as it seems like most cpus at the moment only utilize up to that speed anyway? Are you able to make unlocked CPUs use higher mhz RAM? If so is it worth the money for an unlocked CPU and higher mhz ram?

Solution
JEDEC Standards run a wide range of DRAM in DDR3 alone, sad part is JEDEC is so far behind the times that DRAM has progressed farther than JEDEC can keep up with - but even with that said JEDEC has published standards for up through DDR3 2133 and has drafts for up through 2800, though with DDR4 due for release soon we may never see those....Originally DDR3 according to JEDEC was only to run to 1600, so to a degree, YES, according to JEDEC it's OCing if over 2133 (untill they publish the higher 'standards' which in effect were provided to them by the DRAM makers, based on the specs they used (same happened with 1866 and 2133), but according to the manufacturers, no it's not OCing the DRAM, the mobo makers place an (OC) next to freqs...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Typically, the cost/performance ratio of the higher speed rated memory is not worth the additional $$$. Essentially, the performance gained (if any) is usually not worth the additional expense.

Also, when running memory faster than the standard speeds, you are technically overclocking the memory to run at those higher rated speeds. This can lead to system stability issues and is why I never recommend OCing memory. The gains achieved just don't outweigh the possibility of introducing stability, heat, power, etc issues into an otherwise stable system.

Just my $0.02. Others will disagree and I am okay with that. Good luck!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It all depends on what you do, if you only game and surf the web a little , do email, etc, then faster DRAM is of no real use - however, if you really USE your rig, multitask, run VMs, etc, run memory centric apps, do imaging, video, CAD or use run apps with large data sets, then you'll really appreciate the faster DRAM

And NO< YOU ARE NOT OCing the DRAM, unless you take a set and run it faster than it's rated, if it's rated 2133 then it's 2133 and you aren't OCing it to run 2133, and have to consider the myth that fast sticks make a system unstable - it's often carried on and propagated by those who have never done it or know how - I'm guessing I have in excess of a hundred build in the the last about 2.5 years alone and the lowest DRAM I've used is 1866, the norrm more around 2133, and prob 15% or better have been 2400 and up DRAM - and all all performing just fine, if they weren't, trust me, I'd be hearing about it

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Technically. running memory faster than the JEDEC standard, regardless of the rated speed is overclocking. Tradesman1 brings up a great point though as the rating indicates the speed at which the manufacturer "guarantees" the memory to run.

One caveat though, not all systems can run the higher rated memory at the rated speeds, regardless of the manufacturer's claims. Motherboard quality, heat, power, etc all have an impact on how the memory will perform and at what level.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
JEDEC Standards run a wide range of DRAM in DDR3 alone, sad part is JEDEC is so far behind the times that DRAM has progressed farther than JEDEC can keep up with - but even with that said JEDEC has published standards for up through DDR3 2133 and has drafts for up through 2800, though with DDR4 due for release soon we may never see those....Originally DDR3 according to JEDEC was only to run to 1600, so to a degree, YES, according to JEDEC it's OCing if over 2133 (untill they publish the higher 'standards' which in effect were provided to them by the DRAM makers, based on the specs they used (same happened with 1866 and 2133), but according to the manufacturers, no it's not OCing the DRAM, the mobo makers place an (OC) next to freqs generally from 1866 on up which actually indicates a OC OF THE CPU MAY BE NEEDED TO RUN AT RATED SPEC, the DRAM makers set the specs, CPU (well Intel anyway, AMD is still trying to figure how to run faster than 1866 (and prob will be for another year or two, their latest $900+ grand CPU - the 9590 is still tied to 1866)) maker sees and accepts up to 3000 DRAM (and provides XMP profiles for them)

So in the real world, NO running fast DRAM is not OCing it, again, unless you run faster than Spec - that's an OC, just the same as running a CPU or GPU faster than it's spec is a OC

And while true not all systems can run the spec freqs of some DRAM, it's seldom the mobo, power, heat, etc as mentioned above - the primary factor is if the MC (memory controller) in the CPU can handle the freq....that is and should be the primary consideration - again AMD is a good example - sure you've see all the hoopla about the FX CPUs having a 'native' 1866 MC (and note you don't hear AMD itself saying this, they feed it to others to say) - well it's BS, the native freq for the FX CPUs is 1333, according to AMD's own BIOS and Kernel Programming Guide - which after much discussion with a number of other builders and I - AMD finally put out a freq guide, better identifying the FX CPUs as 'capable of RUNNING 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL' - in other words 2 sticks of 1866, (and they tested with 4GB sticks) their chart can be found buried away here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ddr3memoryfrequencyguide.aspx

Solution

Xavier1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
So for example out of these two;
i5 - 3570 with 8x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz ($375)
i5 - 3570k with 8x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz ($450)

The K series would allow the CPU's memory controller to utilize higher Mhz RAM, therefore the 2400Mhz RAM wouldn't be bottlenecked, but the extra $75 isn't worth the performance boost anyway.

Also is 16GB RAM a bit overkill? I'd be gaming and doing music production, but even Ableton only uses around 4GB max.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Hoping you mean 2x8 GB ;) ( the max either of these CPUs can run is 4x8GB) Many 3570K can handle 2400 at 16GB (most I've built with anyway) 32GB of 2400 is a bit harder, need a strong 3570K. The plain jane 3570 can generally handle up to 16GB of 1866

Xavier1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

hahaha oh yeah my bad, rookie mistake.

Xavier1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
What about the new haswell architecture? Is the price difference worth it yet? I was thinking I might get a z87 chipset mobo so it'd support future upgrades, but if I build with a 3rd gen intel/socket 1155 mobo instead I could save a few hundred.

Basically if a z77/h77 mobo and a 3rd gen intel cpu can tide me over until the end of next year (I'd upgrade sooner if i had a z87 chipset) and would be able to run the latest games with reasonably high settings and stuff i'd be pretty content.

Xavier1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($195.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($90.00)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($77.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card ($159.00 @ Scorptec)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $943.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 00:33 EST+1000)