[SOLVED] Is DVI-D good enough for CRT monitors?

kerterun

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Hi.

I bought an old Philips 109E5 CRT monitor and I'm gonna hook it up to a MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB GPU which has one DVI-D , 2 display and 2 HDMI outputs. If I'm not mistaken, the best option is to go with a DVI-D to VGA (the monitor has only VGA support) adapter. The problem is DVI-D is digital only, so I'm wondering if I will be able to get the most out of the monitor, refresh rate and resolution-wise. Also, will I have any problems with the monitor because of the non-existent drivers for Windows 10?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The GPU's DVI-D output is dual-link.

Last edited:
Solution
I don't think the RX 580 has native support for analog displays as AMD and Nvidia have removed the DACs from the newer cards. If your CRT only has VGA, you'll need an active VGA to DVI-D or active VGA to DisplayPort adapter to get it to work. A simple VGA to DVI-I cable or adapter won't work.
I don't think the RX 580 has native support for analog displays as AMD and Nvidia have removed the DACs from the newer cards. If your CRT only has VGA, you'll need an active VGA to DVI-D or active VGA to DisplayPort adapter to get it to work. A simple VGA to DVI-I cable or adapter won't work.

Reactions: kerterun
Solution

kerterun

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019

Thanks a lot!