Is EaseUS still a trustworthy company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
I just had one of the scammiest experiences with what i thought was a major reliable software company.

I went to download their partition manager software. Their page says you can download it for free. Technically you can download it for free. That's about all you can do with the software for free. When you start the program it lets you go through the whole process of setting up whatever task you want to do, and then when you tell it to execute that task, that's when you get a nice informative chart that shows you what you can do with the 'free' version vs the paid version. And you can do basically nothing with the free version. The 'free' version just lets you run through the process of setting up a task. There's no task you can actually execute without paying for the software.

Just to be clear - I have no problem with them selling their software or even with them not offering a free version. But their whole process really felt so dishonest and scammy to me. They really try hard to make you think you can use their software for free. I assumed it would let you do some tasks for free and some more advanced stuff would require a payment. But nope, you can't do anything besides look at it.

That whole experience really made it feel like that's a company no one should trust. Is it just me?

I have a home version that I downloaded for free in 2017. The version is "12.8 Free Edition - Free For Home Users" and it works fine. I really only use it for cloning backups but it is all there. I have done some partition work with it some time ago. Maybe you downloaded a different version.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
That is different from what I downloaded then. I tried downloading from the link you provided, and that process was more upfront about what I was getting. It gave me the 'standard' checklist showing what the free version does and doesn't do compared to the paid version.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I had used some of their software in the past and was happy with it. But the way they handled the free-not-really-free software was like the worst stereotypical used car salesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.