Question Is efi partion needed for dual boot for ubuntu installation

Simon619

Honorable
Apr 4, 2016
My laptop has 256 gb SSD and 1 tb HDD. I have my windows 11 installed on the SSD and I'm planning to install ubuntu as dual boot on the HDD. So should i create an EFI partition while installing Ubuntu.

Okay in that case what should be the "device for boot loader installation:" .
The boot loader is on the ssd which means there is always a possibility that something can go wrong and kill your windows boot.
You should have a alternative way to boot into windows or into a tool that can fix your windows boot.
Otherwise you can use the HDD for the boot loader but you will have to use the boot menu from the mobo every time you want to boot into linux.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The boot loader is on the ssd which means there is always a possibility that something can go wrong and kill your windows boot.
You should have a alternative way to boot into windows or into a tool that can fix your windows boot.
Otherwise you can use the HDD for the boot loader but you will have to use the boot menu from the mobo every time you want to boot into linux.

Okay in that case what should be the "device for boot loader installation:" .

What TerryLaze said is true. However, there's additional issue of having boot loader on HDD. Namely you can not remove the HDD from the system anymore, since GNU/Linux needs it to boot. And if HDD happens to die (SSDs are more reliable than HDDs), then you can't boot to GNU/Linux either. So, there are downsides to both.
I, personally, would put boot loader to SSD, since SSD is more reliable.

Blackblaze's SSD vs HDD reliability report: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/are-ssds-really-more-reliable-than-hard-drives/