[SOLVED] Is everything all right if i upgrade my core i3 550 processor 73W with core i7 880 95W

Feb 18, 2022
I have a first gen Pc Hp 3130 mt core i3 550 8gb ram
MoBo: H57
Bios version : 6.14
I want to upgrade it with a CPU of either core i5 760 or core i7 880 both of which have 4 cores and a TDP of 95W.
My current processor core i3 550 has a TDP of 7W.
It would be cheaper for me to upgrade my cpu rather than buying a new pc at the moment. my question is wether it might be okay to do so or the risk are too high to do go ahead.
with the new cpu i will be able to do some heavy task thus the reason for the upgrade.

Solution
I actually have almost the same CPU as you in my home file server PC, it's actually the Xeon X3480 which I believe is just the server version of the i7-880. It was originally upgraded from an i5 and it's been running perfectly fine for many years now nonstop. I know others have suggested a better cooler but based on the use cases you've listed, I think you'll be fine sticking with the stock cooler on the i7-880 and definitely the 760.

HOWEVER! I noticed you said you don't have a graphics card in your PC. You should be aware that the Lynnfield processors DO NOT have integrated graphics like your Clarkdale one does. Without an iGPU, you won't be able to have any video output even through the motherboard outputs. So if you...
I have a first gen Pc Hp 3130 mt core i3 550 8gb ram
MoBo: H57
Bios version : 6.14
I want to upgrade it with a CPU of either core i5 760 or core i7 880 both of which have 4 cores and a TDP of 95W.
It would be cheaper for me to upgrade my cpu rather than buying a new pc at the moment. my question is wether it might be okay to do so or the risk are too high to do go ahead.
with the new cpu i will be able to do some heavy task thus the reason for the upgrade.
So question how long do you know this PC has been getting used, how often is it maintained, and how much do you daily use it.
What are the speccs of psu, any GPU, and do you use a optical drive if so is it on sata or ribbon wire

Feb 18, 2022
So question how long do you know this PC has been getting used, how often is it maintained, and how much do you daily use it.
What are the speccs of psu, any GPU, and do you use a optical drive if so is it on sata or ribbon wire
I am currently using it I have used it since 2016. I do transcription and data labeling with the computer, emails and watch movies on a daily basis. I want to do 3d labeling task that require a powerful pc thus my reason to want to upgrade.
It is well maintained has no problems everything is working just fine
my CPU is core i3 550 LGA1156 @ 3.2 GHz 2 cores 4 thread
its Clackdale 32 nm technology 73W TDP .
No GPU installed
Yes it has an ODD two actually DVD RW and a Burner both on SATA

You will need a better cpu cooler for that.
Stock cooler is fine for i3, but with i5 or i7 expect overheating/thermal throttling and high cpu fan operation noise.

Some inexpensive options:
Deepcool Gammaxx 400​
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.​

Reactions: itsben and Krotow

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I actually have almost the same CPU as you in my home file server PC, it's actually the Xeon X3480 which I believe is just the server version of the i7-880. It was originally upgraded from an i5 and it's been running perfectly fine for many years now nonstop. I know others have suggested a better cooler but based on the use cases you've listed, I think you'll be fine sticking with the stock cooler on the i7-880 and definitely the 760.

HOWEVER! I noticed you said you don't have a graphics card in your PC. You should be aware that the Lynnfield processors DO NOT have integrated graphics like your Clarkdale one does. Without an iGPU, you won't be able to have any video output even through the motherboard outputs. So if you don't add any kind of graphics card, the best CPU you can get for your motherboard that has an iGPU is the i5-680. Neither the i5-760 or i7-880 will work without a separate graphics card. So if you can get a basic GPU for video output, like a GeForce GT 710, then you're all set for the i7-880. But if not, then you're limited to the i5-600 series as the best you can do.

Solution
Feb 18, 2022
You will need a better cpu cooler for that.
Stock cooler is fine for i3, but with i5 or i7 expect overheating/thermal throttling and high cpu fan operation noise.

Some inexpensive options:
Deepcool Gammaxx 400​
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.​
Thanks sky net I am more enligtened more so on the coolers

logainofhades

Titan
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02170975#AbT0

Intel Core i5 Processors (HP Pro 3130 only):
  • Intel Core i5-650 Processor (3.20-GHz, 4MB Intel Smart Cache, DMI 2.5 GT/s) Up to 3.46 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • Intel Core i5-660 Processor (3.33-GHz, 4MB Intel Smart Cache, DMI 2.5 GT/s) Up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • Intel Core i5-670 Processor (3.46-GHz, 4MB Intel Smart Cache, DMI 2.5 GT/s) Up to 3.73 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • Intel Core i5-750 Processor (2.66-GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache, DMI 2.5 GT/s) Up to 3.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i7 Processors (HP Pro 3130 only):
  • Intel Core i7-860 Processor (2.8-GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache, DMI 2.5 GT/s) Up to 3.46 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • Intel Core i7-870 Processor (2.93-GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache, DMI 2.5 GT/s) Up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

What is your budget?

Feb 18, 2022

HOWEVER! I noticed you said you don't have a graphics card in your PC. You should be aware that the Lynnfield processors DO NOT have integrated graphics like your Clarkdale one does. Without an iGPU, you won't be able to have any video output even through the motherboard outputs. So if you don't add any kind of graphics card, the best CPU you can get for your motherboard that has an iGPU is the i5-680. Neither the i5-760 or i7-880 will work without a separate graphics card. So if you can get a basic GPU for video output, like a GeForce GT 710, then you're all set for the i7-880. But if not, then you're limited to the i5-600 series as the best you can do.
Genral much thanks to the insight its one thing for sure i hadnt noticed that the lynnfield has no intergrated graphics

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
For the tasks you listed, I don't think your current processor is that bad for those. But if you really do want to upgrade, within your budget, I think you could probably do an i5-680 (best your motherboard supports that has an iGPU) and get a cheap SSD and more RAM. Otherwise with the i7-880, you might be able to squeeze in a cheap GPU like a GT 610. You can get those for around $25 if you buy used off ebay. And that'll probably leave enough room for in your budget for a cheap SSD and RAM upgrade. Either route is fine for you.