Question Is fine to skip to latest version of bios of PRIME B660M-K D4?

NiceGuy1234

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
I don't think I am getting the kind of performance I should be getting out of my i5-13600k so I thought about updating the BIOS to help with that. My current version is 2014 but I checked on the latest bios update that doesn't require any pre-requisites. I am asking if I am fine with updating to version 3210. It also looks like I might need to update Intel ME, is it safe to use the updater from ASUS?

kanewolf

Titan
I don't think I am getting the kind of performance I should be getting out of my i5-13600k so I thought about updating the BIOS to help with that. My current version is 2014 but I checked on the latest bios update that doesn't require any pre-requisites. I am asking if I am fine with updating to version 3210. It also looks like I might need to update Intel ME, is it safe to use the updater from ASUS?
You say you are on version 2014. The first newer version has a required step -- "update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020v2"
I would do that. Then a later BIOS has the required step of "update ME firmware to Version 16.1.27.2176v2". I would do that.

It looks like that ME firmware update was then rolled into the BIOS update.
You do have a large jump, but I don't see any other REQUIRED steps.

If it were me, I would probably do the two ME firmware updates, then load BIOS version 2603. Verify everything is still working. THEN jump to the latest.

NiceGuy1234

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
You say you are on version 2014. The first newer version has a required step -- "update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020v2"
I would do that. Then a later BIOS has the required step of "update ME firmware to Version 16.1.27.2176v2". I would do that.

It looks like that ME firmware update was then rolled into the BIOS update.
You do have a large jump, but I don't see any other REQUIRED steps.

If it were me, I would probably do the two ME firmware updates, then load BIOS version 2603. Verify everything is still working. THEN jump to the latest.
Thanks for the response. Should I just use the ME update tool from Asus to get to that ME version?

Edit: If it matters, my current firmware on ME is 16.1.25.1885

Are you planning to update on speculation, or, does the updated bios have anything that suggests a solution to your problem.
The usual advice is to not update a bios unless the update has a solution that is impacting you.

If your performance is noticeably lacking, consider the possibility that there are other causes.

NiceGuy1234

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Are you planning to update on speculation, or, does the updated bios have anything that suggests a solution to your problem.
The usual advice is to not update a bios unless the update has a solution that is impacting you.

If your performance is noticeably lacking, consider the possibility that there are other causes.
It is one of the things that are suggested to me since I don't think my processor is overheating. I do keep my drivers and windows updated. Currently using a 3060 ti with 16 gbs of RAM and NVMEs and on Windows 11.