Is g-sync worth it?

okay so... im gonna buy a new monitor in acouple of days if not tomorrow and I was looking at the Samsung 27 inch 144hz 1440p curved FREE SYNC monitor... I was sure thats the dream monitor but from what I heard, if u get any dip in fps you will feel the tearing... I usually dont play very heavy games, heaviest my pcs ever run was far cry 5 but I usually play cs go and games like that... so I believe my gtx 1080 and i7 8700k can run 144hz on everything, and if I experience heavy tearing, will v-sync help? or should I max the fps on my game to 120?

Solution

I think you should be fine with your system with a 144hz monitor and maybe you should keep your fps at a limited level so both your gpu and monitor can handle it. But I think you should...

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

I think you should be fine with your system with a 144hz monitor and maybe you should keep your fps at a limited level so both your gpu and monitor can handle it. But I think you should be good with the monitor you have chosen but still, I would look at other people’s opinions before buying right away.

Solution
If you output more or less frames than the refresh rate there is always tearing. At 144hz you are less likely to notice it because the frames are on the screen half the time of a 60hz monitor.

In CS you’ll exceed 144fps so adaptive or fast sync may help if you see the tearing. In FC5 you won’t even come close to 144fps so no sync feature will help.

Edit: I always recommend gsync to nvidia owners.

If you're spending that much on a monitor, I would go ahead and spend the extra money for G-Sync. V-Sync creates a pretty awful input lag. Nvidia Fast Sync has helped me before when I didn't have G-Sync. It's up to you and your money. But IMO if you're spending over $400 on a monitor you might as well go with a G-Sync if you have an expensive Nvidia rig.

Monitor: Acer - Predator Z1 31.5" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($599.99 @ Amazon)

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

I also found this monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor @$460 amazon maybe you wanna check it out it is also g sync so it might work better than the samsung. btw do more research about it I dont know much about it.