Question Is GeForce GTX 1650 compatible with Gigabyte M3970AM-HP?

Dec 27, 2022
Installed, it issues the HP “Press Enter key” screen. Seems not to respond to keyboard.

Reset BIOS. Tried summoning the BIOS with keyboard. BIOS appeared after 1 minute.

Set BIOS to post messages. Reboot. Then it very slowly began trying to boot into Windows but apparently gave up.

Computer: Pavilion HPE h8-1300z / Gigabyte M3970AM-HP / Angelica2, BIOS v7.05, with PCIE 2

Power Supply: Kingwin ABT-450MM 450 Watt

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Ventus XS OCV1 Edition, Allegedly PCIE 3

Very unlikely that you're going to get a GTX 1650 to work in an HP system with a board old enough to have PCIe 2.0 slots because it's simply not going to have BIOS support for graphics card architectures that new. Unlike most aftermarket manufacturers, and even they stop after some point, HP doesn't care to provide continuing BIOS support for newer hardware after the first couple of years and that system is MANY, MANY years old. Like, 10 years old.

Even 700 series cards needed a newer BIOS version just to work with that board and there haven't been any BIOS updates for that for a long time I'm sure. Certainly not in the years since that card was released.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ngelica-compatible-graphic-cards/td-p/4848366

Dec 27, 2022
Very unlikely that you're going to get a GTX 1650 to work in an HP system with a board old enough to have PCIe 2.0 slots because it's simply not going to have BIOS support for graphics card architectures that new. Unlike most aftermarket manufacturers, and even they stop after some point, HP doesn't care to provide continuing BIOS support for newer hardware after the first couple of years and that system is MANY, MANY years old. Like, 10 years old.

Even 700 series cards needed a newer BIOS version just to work with that board and there haven't been any BIOS updates for that for a long time I'm sure. Certainly not in the years since that card was released.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ngelica-compatible-graphic-cards/td-p/4848366

Thanks, Darkbreeze.

I'm told elsewhere that a 3rd party made a BOIS upgrade for this motherboard that can handle later NVidia GPU's. But to run the upgrade, I must have Windows 7 or 8 installed, whereas I currently have Windows 10 on it. So I need to temporarily install Windows 7 on it to do this upgrade.

So far, I have run into so many roadblocks while trying to get Windows 7 on it that I gave up. This is my apartment-mate's computer, actually. So I told her it is up to her to get Windows 7 on it, and I'll take it from there. Given my apartment-mate's lack of follow-through, she'll likely never get around to it.
Oh well.

Besides which, in 35+ years of doing this, I think I've seen maybe two or three instances, total, of one of those 3rd party BIOS releases actually working correctly without creating any other problems or in fact actually solving the problem that was the whole reason they were installing it. But anyhow, good luck to you man.