Question Is higher ICC MAX good for cpu bound games?

Jun 15, 2024
I just z790 motherboard from gigabyte and i have 500 A current limit/icc max which is too high and i just set it 300 A.is higher number icc max good for cpu bound games like dota 2,cs 2

I just z790 motherboard from gigabyte and i have 500 A current limit/icc max which is too high and i just set it 300 A.is higher number icc max good for cpu bound games like dota 2,cs 2
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/600/how-to-calculate-amps-volts-and-watts.html

Max watts divided by max amps gives you the volts the CPU can draw under load, if the voltage is too low it can crash the CPU, if the voltage is too high you get higher temps and possibly hurt your CPU over longer time.

Higher current limits are only useful when you're hitting the power limit on the CPU and you can't really bump up the voltage any higher. However, this only really applies in extreme overclocking scenarios and you're trying to get the top Cinebench score or something.

It will do zero in your use case because you'll never hit that wall. Plus those games typically favor single core performance over multi-core performance.

Jun 15, 2024
Higher current limits are only useful when you're hitting the power limit on the CPU and you can't really bump up the voltage any higher. However, this only really applies in extreme overclocking scenarios and you're trying to get the top Cinebench score or something.

It will do zero in your use case because you'll never hit that wall. Plus those games typically favor single core performance over multi-core performance.
so that ICC Max has nothing to do with gaming perfomance only for cinebench?

If you don't have a K SKU CPU there's no point in having super high power limits as it's not going to get you anywhere performance wise. About the only thing you could do which might have any gaming performance ramifications would be to use a profile that sets PL1/2 both to 219W as that's the stock boost power level for your CPU.

Not for make framerate stable?
Generally not in most games there likely is some random game it does. The vast majority of games are being restricted by the GPU. The ones the are being limited by the CPU are only using a small number of cores.

Generally you are nowhere near any power limits when you are not using all cores.

Watch hwinfo and watch the numbers. The game should use the 2 P cores that have the best single clock rates. You will have many cores not used. Now if the game would gets its main process on a E core rather than a P core it could cause issues. I have seen lots of discussion about how to force this but every game I have windows seems to do it correctly.

I have always used "K" cpu so I am not sure how much you can mess with the clock rates etc on a non K cpu. On K cpu you might see a small difference on benchmarks but you will not really be able to tell in a game unless you leave a FPS counter up all the time. Then you can see the fps number of the screen change but it likely will make little difference in the gameplay.

Jun 15, 2024
Generally not in most games there likely is some random game it does. The vast majority of games are being restricted by the GPU. The ones the are being limited by the CPU are only using a small number of cores.

Generally you are nowhere near any power limits when you are not using all cores.

Watch hwinfo and watch the numbers. The game should use the 2 P cores that have the best single clock rates. You will have many cores not used. Now if the game would gets its main process on a E core rather than a P core it could cause issues. I have seen lots of discussion about how to force this but every game I have windows seems to do it correctly.

I have always used "K" cpu so I am not sure how much you can mess with the clock rates etc on a non K cpu. On K cpu you might see a small difference on benchmarks but you will not really be able to tell in a game unless you leave a FPS counter up all the time. Then you can see the fps number of the screen change but it likely will make little difference in the gameplay.
I am just done playing and i see my framerate in cs 2 still dropping in some spot from 250-300 to 170-230 idk how,especially in gpu usage

Do you have a monitor that can actually display frames that fast. extra frames that can not be displayed in effect do not exist.
I would not worry about the numbers you see on the screen. Shooter games are more about skill and practice than being limited by hardware. 99.999% of people can not actually see frame rates that fast....but every so called "competitive gamer" thinks they are in the .001%. They have shown that people with real game skill can use a potato computer and beat most other players who spent thousands.

It is really worth the time to get a few more frames.

In any case the method is the same. Watch hwinfo and see the clock rates the cores are running at. I forget the exact numbers for your processor. If the 2 main cores are boasting to rated speed that is the best you can do. I don't think you can change this stuff on a non "k" cpu anyway.

If they do not boost to the max check why you are throttling.

Reactions: Hotrod2go
Jun 15, 2024
Do you have a monitor that can actually display frames that fast. extra frames that can not be displayed in effect do not exist.
I would not worry about the numbers you see on the screen. Shooter games are more about skill and practice than being limited by hardware. 99.999% of people can not actually see frame rates that fast....but every so called "competitive gamer" thinks they are in the .001%. They have shown that people with real game skill can use a potato computer and beat most other players who spent thousands.

It is really worth the time to get a few more frames.

In any case the method is the same. Watch hwinfo and see the clock rates the cores are running at. I forget the exact numbers for your processor. If the 2 main cores are boasting to rated speed that is the best you can do. I don't think you can change this stuff on a non "k" cpu anyway.

If they do not boost to the max check why you are throttling.
I only have gigabyte gs27q 1440 monitor 165 hz and it still smooth.i only care the fps number and the stable the framerate is .it just for self satisfaction that i can achieve that