[SOLVED] Is i3 10th gen enough for 1080p gaming?

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
I want to upgrade to i3 10th gen as it seems a better budget option than the ryzen 3 3100 or 3300x,they are just out of stock everywhere.

I'm gonna game on 1080p high and ultra, so is i3 gonna be a good option for me? And what about future upgrades, i guess ryzen is better at it.

Right now i use fx6300 oc to 4.4ghz stable and 8 gigs of ram 2100mhz oc, with gtx 1650 super (which i recently upgraded from my old 1050 ti).
Also are there any other better alternatives to i3 or ryzens.

Solution
I would recommend going with the 10400(f) too if possible. The extra up-front cost may sting a little but the extra cores, cache, higher clocks, etc. will definitely pay off in the longer run if you have any expectation of running somewhat more CPU-intensive tasks in the foreseeable future. Picking an i5-3470 over an i3 eight years ago likely more than doubled my current PC's useful life for $50 extra on a $500 build.

Lutfij

Titan
Anything you buy that's concurrent in terms of hardware, is a massive step above what you currently have. Yes an i3 is a good value for 1080p gaming but you're forgetting that it's just a processor. You will need a discrete GPU to pair that processor, not to mention the need for a new motherboard and a new dual channel ram kit to get the most out of your platform.

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
Anything you buy that's concurrent in terms of hardware, is a massive step above what you currently have. Yes an i3 is a good value for 1080p gaming but you're forgetting that it's just a processor. You will need a discrete GPU to pair that processor, not to mention the need for a new motherboard and a new dual channel ram kit to get the most out of your platform.
Yes, i do know about buying a new mobo and a new dual channel ram kit, I'm just stuck between amd or intel, and according to the current pricing and availability, i3 seems a good option. I just needed some extra opinion if i3 is good enough for like maybe next 2 years..

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
And whatever cpu i buy, i will pair it with my gtx 1650 super, which i guess is enough for most of the 1080p gaming.

I3-10100 is a very good budget gamer and a massive upgrade over a FX system.
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
It shows both 2666 speed ram and 3200 speed ram
Using a basic $75 lga1200 motherboard, the max ram speed is 2666.
If you opt for a more expensive Z490 motherboard, you can use the faster ram showed in the benchmarks as well as a small bclk overclock.

Ultimately, most games become graphics limited.
Cpu upgrades are unlimited. If you think you might want to upgrade to a K suffix processor or rocket lake in the future, I would spend a bit more up front for a Z490 based motherboard.

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
I3-10100 is a very good budget gamer and a massive upgrade over a FX system.
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
It shows both 2666 speed ram and 3200 speed ram
Using a basic $75 lga1200 motherboard, the max ram speed is 2666.
If you opt for a more expensive Z490 motherboard, you can use the faster ram showed in the benchmarks as well as a small bclk overclock.

Ultimately, most games become graphics limited.
Cpu upgrades are unlimited. If you think you might want to upgrade to a K suffix processor or rocket lake in the future, I would spend a bit more up front for a Z490 based motherboard.
well, if i go with i3, i'm gonna opt for an asrock mobo i saw that is actually great for future upgrade too.
this one https://mdcomputers.in/asrock-b460m-pro4.html?search=asrock b460&category_id=0

Rufusw

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
The baby i5-10400F is very well priced at the moment and really isn't far behind flagship intel chips in real world gaming..

But that said, it's significantly more expensive than the 10100.

One thing that has surprised me, when you look at comparative performance of the lower end intel 10th gen chips, the spread isn't that wide. The cheaper end of their range is amazingly capable.

Reactions: Pururaj

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
The baby i5-10400F is very well priced at the moment and really isn't far behind flagship intel chips in real world gaming..

But that said, it's significantly more expensive than the 10100.

One thing that has surprised me, when you look at comparative performance of the lower end intel 10th gen chips, the spread isn't that wide. The cheaper end of their range is amazingly capable.
ikr, the performance increase, especially in gaming isn't that big, even the fps gap between i3 10100f and i5 10400f is quite small, avg 20 fps, currently i3 seems a better value for money according to the prices here in india, i3 is for like INR 8k and i5 runs for around 13k.

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
If you can't get the Ryzen 5000 series because of the price, then I'd say you should get an intel chip, as is better than the older ryzen 3000 series for gaming.
I giving this advice on the presumption that you going to buy a separate GPU. If you're not going to buy a separate GPU and you're looking for a APU (a cpu that has a mini GPU inside of it) then you should get the 3400G or one of the other ryzen APUs because they have better graphics.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
ikr, the performance increase, especially in gaming isn't that big, even the fps gap between i3 10100f and i5 10400f is quite small, avg 20 fps, currently i3 seems a better value for money according to the prices here in india, i3 is for like INR 8k and i5 runs for around 13k.
I would really try for the 10400 for the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads it should help in future games and keep your PC from needing upgrading quicker.

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
If you can't get the Ryzen 5000 series because of the price, then I'd say you should get an intel chip, as is better than the older ryzen 3000 series for gaming.
I giving this advice on the presumption that you going to buy a separate GPU. If you're not going to buy a separate GPU and you're looking for a APU (a cpu that has a mini GPU inside of it) then you should get the 3400G or one of the other ryzen APUs because they have better graphics.
Yes i have a 1650 super that i am gonna be pairing up.

Pururaj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
I would really try for the 10400 for the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads it should help in future games and keep your PC from needing upgrading quicker.
i am actually waiting for the prices to atleast slide down a bit, and yes 10400 is actually on par with or better than ryzen 5 3600 in terms of gaming.

InvalidError

Titan
I would recommend going with the 10400(f) too if possible. The extra up-front cost may sting a little but the extra cores, cache, higher clocks, etc. will definitely pay off in the longer run if you have any expectation of running somewhat more CPU-intensive tasks in the foreseeable future. Picking an i5-3470 over an i3 eight years ago likely more than doubled my current PC's useful life for $50 extra on a $500 build.

Solution
Jan 16, 2021
Pair the i3 10th Gen with dual channel memory and a 1660(S) or splurge a few more shekels for the 2060. With this combo you should be able to tackle 1080p gaming for 2-3 years before you have to start toning down the settings.

TRENDING THREADS