[SOLVED] Is i5 4590 is compatible with dell 02yrk5 motherboard

Mar 18, 2020
I have a pentium g3240 processor and dell 02yrk5 Mobo and due to severe performance drop I decided to go with a cheap upgrade i5 4590 my doubt is wether my motherboard will have any kind of compatibility issues ???
Both processors mentioned above is 4th gen and uses FCLGA1150 socket

Solution
Well nobody can know that.
Your motherboard technically supports the CPU, but OEM boards are very limited in terms of upgrading, they are often made just to run the config they ship with.
But if you can talk to the seller, and ask him if he can give you your money back if it doesnt work, that would be awesome : )
And NO your new cpu wont fry anything, cpu's are very hard to kill or to be faulty.
Mar 18, 2020
If I install non s version what all problems would I run to?? And whether there's a chance frying out my cpu and Mobo ??
And seriously I don't know whether I can find an s version if I can I will choose that

Well nobody can know that.
Your motherboard technically supports the CPU, but OEM boards are very limited in terms of upgrading, they are often made just to run the config they ship with.
But if you can talk to the seller, and ask him if he can give you your money back if it doesnt work, that would be awesome : )
And NO your new cpu wont fry anything, cpu's are very hard to kill or to be faulty.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Dell. Compatibility isn't upto the motherboard, Dell used the same motherboard in multiple models. It's totally upto the bios as to whether it works or not.
And different models used different bios.
You need to know the pc model number. If your particular model only included Pentium and possibly i3's, then the chances of an i5 being recognised are slim.

The only way around that is to find a Dell model that did use i5's and the exact same motherboard, and use that models bios instead, but do so at your own risk.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Mar 18, 2020
If that's the case
It's a Dell. Compatibility isn't upto the motherboard, Dell used the same motherboard in multiple models. It's totally upto the bios as to whether it works or not.
And different models used different bios.
You need to know the pc model number. If your particular model only included Pentium and possibly i3's, then the chances of an i5 being recognised are slim.

The only way around that is to find a Dell model that did use i5's and the exact same motherboard, and use that models bios instead, but do so at your own risk.
If that's the case where I can look for th i5 bios can I get it from dell's site?
And is there any assurance that the i5 bios will simply work for my Mobo if the 2 motherboards are simply same?

If that's the case

If that's the case where I can look for th i5 bios can I get it from dell's site?
And is there any assurance that the i5 bios will simply work for my Mobo if the 2 motherboards are simply same?
No, he meant the existing BIOS of your motherboard will maybe accept it i think.
There is no assurance, as i said its a risk, but if you can return the cpu if it doesnt work you are not loosing anything.

Mar 18, 2020
Should be absolutely fine. Just plug and play. But why do you want to do it? Yes, it will be faster. But it will still be so slow compared to any modern CPU that it honestly doesn't make any sense imo... Replacing one 6 year old CPU with another 6 year old CPU is rarely a good idea.
I don't have enough money to build a pc right now and will buy a laptop realsoon and this pc was sitting simply in my room thought I could throw an used i5 and a low power graphics card since it cost nothing compared to building a new one

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You could try. Physically it's the right cpu for that socket and the mobo can support the necessary power just fine. Black screen, beeps and refusal to post will mean cpu isn't compatible by bios.

Everything I found claimed i3's, i5's and i7's for that mobo in a Dell pc, so how you got a Pentium is odd, unless it's the seriously lowest budget model and not the inspiron 3647/3847

Mar 18, 2020
You could try. Physically it's the right cpu for that socket and the mobo can support the necessary power just fine. Black screen, beeps and refusal to post will mean cpu isn't compatible by bios.

Everything I found claimed i3's, i5's and i7's for that mobo in a Dell pc, so how you got a Pentium is odd, unless it's the seriously lowest budget model and not the inspiron 3647/3847
Actually it did work the new processor just works fine with normal temps
And yes my pc was a very low budget model my dad bought it for me years ago