Question Is i5 9300H Or R7 3750H good enough to handle gtx 1660Ti?

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
Here are 2 laptops I wanna talk about,
  1. Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51 510A Core i5 9300H
  2. Asus Tuf FX505DU AMD Ryzen 7 3750H
So my question is are these prosessors good enough to utilze the best from 1660Ti.
Even if "Yes" then which one is better among them?
I guess the i5 maybe is holding the better position?
In desktop R5 3500X, 3600, R7 3700X are very powerful processors and they got more cores, threads than intel ones.
But in case of Gaming Laptops even a Ryzen 7 3750H is nothing, and of course the R7 nomenclature instead of R5 is for fooling the customers, because its not more than 4 core 8 threads, while intel i7 ones are 6 core 12 threads.
Also Laptops are made in a really very stupid way, some laptop have 9th gen i7 "H" or "HQ" processors with gtx 1650/1650maxQ graphics. which is a stupid Cpu-Gpu Combo
Some have Ryzen 3750H paired with 1660ti.(which is also stupid)

But I think and i7 with the 1660ti is better combination than the R7 3750H with 1660Ti.

i7 processors are good enough to handle the Rtx20 serise also. But unfortunately the combination of cpu and gpu in laptops sucks.

In my country, the 1660ti graphics laptops start from the asus TUF FX505DU; ryzen 3750H (120Hz refresh rate+RGB keyboard) according to availability. price $1200+

another good option for me is the older Asus Tuf FX505GM almost same but 8th gen i5 and gtx1060. its a $150 lower priced one.

There is a laptop from MSI which is: MSI Alpha 15 A3DD 16U6 Ryzen 7 3750H with RX 5500M Graphics. but its 4Gb graphics so, though mybe its with more effective memory clock, it didn't convince me much.

I searched a laptop with i5+1660Ti and fortunately found the Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51 510A . this one convinced me the most.
This laptop offers a 144Hz display as well which is great.
But with no Rgb keyboard unlike the Tuf FX505DU, on ly Red Backlit. it also has a 256Gb ssd.
I am worried about it whether i5 9300H is good enough to handle the 1660Ti.
its $1400 in my country.

Later I searched for a Rtx2060 laptop while also wanted to minimize costs and found this Dell G5 15 5590 Core i7 8th Gen 15.6"Full HD Laptop With NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 Graphics.
which cost about $1670 in my country.

so its $270 more than the Acer Nitro 7.. I talked about above. But even then , of course Rtx 2060 with i7 8750H combo is damm better and of course hugely better than the 1660ti with i5 9300H combo.

So guys, which one among the laptops I talked about gives the best value for money?
I will appreciate other model suggestions with similar specs.
Keep in mind that not all Laptop Brands are available in my country.( available ones are Razer, Hp, Asus, Msi, Gigabyte, Acer, Dell, Lenovo and some other useless local brands also.)

Plus the Dell G5 15 5590 Core i7 8th Gen Laptop With RTX 2060 6GB is already pushing my budget($1670). I can't even think anything more costly than that.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Think there are things which you can clarify.

Firstly, are you limiting the decision to the two laptops you mention at the top of the post (as these are what most will likely see and comment on)? Or including the Dell you later mention in your post?

Secondly, if you're lucky there might be someone who is familiar with your market to advise better. But you make no mention what country you're in.

Thirdly, for what purpose is the laptop? If purely gaming then what games?

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
Think there are things which you can clarify.

Firstly, are you limiting the decision to the two laptops you mention at the top of the post (as these are what most will likely see and comment on)? Or including the Dell you later mention in your post?

Secondly, if you're lucky there might be someone who is familiar with your market to advise better. But you make no mention what country you're in.

Thirdly, for what purpose is the laptop? If purely gaming then what games?
I am from Bangladesh, a small Asian country near India.

I want to play games like fortnite, pubg, Csgo @120 Fps and want to get around stable 100 Fps, I also want to play other random offline shooting games with ultra or if not possible then high settings @ more than 60 fps(near stable 100 fps if possible). I don't feel the shooting games fast enough if the fps is 60 or low and also if the refresh rate is 60 or lower.
I can easily afford
'up to' the acer nitro 7 I talked about , but if I see any good enough laptop with RTX2060 and very good value for money+ reasonable price then I might wait a few months, push my mind and convince myself to buy that.

Because there are so many fancy looking laptops in the market from Brands like Asus, Msi which are stupid combinations of 9th or even 10th gen core i7 "H" or "HQ" specs with gtx 1650!!!! . LoL, provably worst value for money laptops as long as 1660ti paired with i5 are available @lower price and paired with i7 @almost similar price range.

there is no point in using a Car's wheels in a truck.

I'm not that much stupid who is going to buy such trash. For me performance comes First then looks flollows, But, unfortunately, budget hugely control what we want to have.

Last edited:
Looking at those games, especially PUBG, then I would lean towards the Intel options myself for the clockspeed and IPC advantage.

The one factor which should be a consideration, though I couldn't find much about, is how well the various laptops are cooled. It's all well and good if the specs are 'ideal' but if the laptop construction isn't good for dissipation of heat then the performance suffers as a result.

Reactions: hakimul.islam

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
Looking at those games, especially PUBG, then I would lean towards the Intel options myself for the clockspeed and IPC advantage.

The one factor which should be a consideration, though I couldn't find much about, is how well the various laptops are cooled. It's all well and good if the specs are 'ideal' but if the laptop construction isn't good for dissipation of heat then the performance suffers as a result.
you can leave that upto me, I can make some tiny holes on the back cover by using drill machine and use a very good cooling pad with enough CFM if necessary, if that don't feel like enough i'll add an air puller on the exit point to get the hot air out of the Laptop. that'll at least improve a 5-10% cooling performance maybe?, which makes a lot of difference when continuously done.