Question Is I7-3770 and gtx960 strong enough to start twitch

Feb 15, 2019
Hello, i am planning to start streaming in twitch. So i wonder if my rig is strong enough. My current rig is as follow

CPU : i7-3770 @3.4ghz (8CPUs)
RAM : 8GB
VGA : GTX960 (2GB)

I do not remember what are their brands unfortunately as it has been years ago.

I aim for atleast 720p/60fps stream as i reckon that is the least quality people would still enjoy. Tried and tested it via Player.me while playing Apex Legend. Verdict, it was bad. My input lags really hard, i cant even aim properly. Everything (mouse, keyboard) input was slow. I dont remember but i believe i suffer in fps as well. It was all fine and dandy if i do not stream (altho i lost some fps in certain area).

During testing however i have tonnes of other application running such as, steam, origin, chrome (to test twitch), the game (apex legend), discord, and player.me.

Anyway the game i plan to stream are as follow:
World of warship
Ace Combat 7
Apex legend
CSGO
and some other RTS game (total war or hearts of iron)
Battlefield

In term of gaming peformance, i do not care its quality so long it runs smooth. And i run in old 1360x720 resolution.

Any ideas and tips for a beginner like me please?

Thank you.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can download and use the portable version of HWiNFO (no installation needed). It will give you detailed information about the components.

Not sure, just a hunch, but that many demanding programs running simultaneously is quite a load on the CPU and I'd imagine a lot to handle for just 8GB of RAM. Keep in mind Windows 7 alone occupies like 2-3GB at idle and Windows 10 something between 1.5 to 2.5GB. So assuming you're running one of these two your left with 5 - 5.5GB physical RAM.

If virtual memory (page file) is enabled and some of the RAM addresses are actually mapped temporarily on the HDD (assuming you have no SSD) (and also IF system runs short on RAM) that also might cause some lags as HDD read/write speed is nowhere near RAM. Not quite sure about page files affecting gaming that much though.

Feb 15, 2019
Are you using OBS? If so, try using NVENC encoding instead of software.
I was using Player.me. I have both XSplit (free version) and OBS ready to test with. Question, how do i get overlays with OBS like other streamers?

You can download and use the portable version of HWiNFO (no installation needed). It will give you detailed information about the components.

Not sure, just a hunch, but that many demanding programs running simultaneously is quite a load on the CPU and I'd imagine a lot to handle for just 8GB of RAM. Keep in mind Windows 7 alone occupies like 2-3GB at idle and Windows 10 something between 1.5 to 2.5GB. So assuming you're running one of these two your left with 5 - 5.5GB physical RAM.

If virtual memory (page file) is enabled and some of the RAM addresses are actually mapped temporarily on the HDD (assuming you have no SSD) (and also IF system runs short on RAM) that also might cause some lags as HDD read/write speed is nowhere near RAM. Not quite sure about page files affecting gaming that much though.
I am using Windows 10. I have both SSD and HDD. Some games that i play often is installed in SSD while other game that is less played and or less demanding are in HDD. The Player.me is installed in SSD (system C, user>roaming, that is in C drive right?).

Well, I have about $300 to spend upgrading. I could probably stretch it to $400. Although if possible, i would like to get new monitor and or something else than upgrading my rig.

Thanks in advance!

1Poseidon3

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
I was using Player.me. I have both XSplit (free version) and OBS ready to test with. Question, how do i get overlays with OBS like other streamers?
To get overlays you need to use a website like StreamElements or StreamLabs (I personally use StreamElements). You can create overlays there and then on OBS you will add something in your sources section called a "browser source" and link the overlay URL in that section. You might be able to find more detailed information on their websites or elsewhere on the internet.

Feb 15, 2019
To get overlays you need to use a website like StreamElements or StreamLabs (I personally use StreamElements). You can create overlays there and then on OBS you will add something in your sources section called a "browser source" and link the overlay URL in that section. You might be able to find more detailed information on their websites or elsewhere on the internet.

hi thanks for the info. Player.me also give options to create overlays and it is not a problem anymore.

However, when i try to stream Apex Legends, I have noticeable input lag and sometimes a bit fps drops. Per my rig i post for this thread, is it not strong enough to stream and play altogether? Do I need to upgrade something>? my CPU? GPU? or even RAM?

Thank you.