[SOLVED] Is increasing your GPU fan speed to reduce temps in MSI afterburner bad for the card?

Apr 3, 2021
It instantly reduced my idle GPU temp by 12 degrees. Went from 45 C to 33.

Is this putting too much stress on the fans? Why do so many people complain about high GPU temp when this seems like such an easy fix?

Solution

Is this putting too much stress on the fans? Why do so many people complain about high GPU temp when this seems like such an easy fix?

Most of modern GPU have 2 fans, even 3 for some high-end cards. The fans are there to protect the GPU from burning.

Fans don't have stress, but they can make a lot of noise and people generally don't like it.

Most of modern GPU have 2 fans, even 3 for some high-end cards. The fans are there to protect the GPU from burning.

Fans don't have stress, but they can make a lot of noise and people generally don't like it.

Reactions: Triggeravus
Solution
Apr 3, 2021

So if you can lower your temps by 12 degrees and the noise doesn't bother you, no harm done?

I can't hear them at all. 3 fans in an Asus TUF 3080 OC.