Is IO shield really important?

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
I put it in before the motherboard etc like I was supposed to but when it came to placing the Mobo in, the IO shield was making it so the motherboard couldn't quite reach the screw holes correctly. I tried many times to make sure it was in place but in the end, I just left it out and the motherboard fits comfortably now. Is it a massive issue? Could I stick the shield on from the outside for now?

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016

So having it on the outside will be okay? I can stick it in place with tape or something. My only worry was dust.

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016

I don't know what standoffs are so no idea but I've bent the pins and stuck it on the outside for now. It will help protect the motherboard and deter dust I suppose. As long as there's no huge issue without it, I'm fine with it having bits of tape on it. I don't care what the case looks like. I'm going to be looking at the screen.

These are standoffs. And they are mandatory unless you want to short out your motherboard.
MaleFemaleStandoff.png

I agree with the selected answer, and a few others as well.

If your motherboard doesn't fit after properly installing the IO shield, you're doing something wrong.

On the other hand, the IO shield usually makes contact to the back of the motherboard connectors with spring loaded contacts. If you're not actively pushing the motherboard back into the IO shield when trying to install your first couple of screws, of course they are not going to line up. Also, make sure none of the contacts have actually gone into the Ethernet port, or other open connectors.

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016

I got a standoff wrench in the case box but the instructions said to screw the motherboard in with '6-32 x 5mm' screws. It looks like I only have 1 standoff screw.

EDIT~ Ooooh wait, I just read that many cases come with pre-installed standoffs. I assume you meant the screws behind the motherboard... in which case, yes, they were already in place.

First, you install the standoffs to the motherboard tray in the configuration that matches your motherboard, then you attach the motherboard to the standoffs using the 6-32 x 5mm screws.

If, as in your case, the standoffs were pre-installed, make very certain they are all lining up with the screw mounting holes. An extra standoff where the motherboard doesn't have a mounting hole for it will damage the motherboard in time.