[SOLVED] Is it a good idea to update the firmware of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RGB RAM?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I read that unless something is not working, it is better not to update the BIOS of motherboards. How about the RAM? I am using Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro. I got a message from a Corsair RGB app that firmware update is available. Should I update it or just leave it as is?

Solution
As I said, rgb compatability. In other words, there's mobo's out there running software that's not compatible with the rams rgb. Does yours work as advertised? If it does, you don't need the update, but it's not gonna hurt anything to get it. If the RGB isn't working as it should, you prolly do need the update.

Either way, it's not going to affect the ram or its performance, just its colors.

When rgb first gained a foothold, everybody had their own way of doing things. Asus, Gigabyte, Corsair, msi, thermaltake etc were all different designs and not much worked in harmony or concert. You had to have asus certified stuff to work on asus mobo's, that had asus compliant connectors. Corsair was worse, they had rgb that had the exact same...
Updating firmware is always recommended as there are crucial patches, specially security patches which should be applied as soon as they are available. With the kind of security flaws exposed nowadays, you never know when it can be vulnerable.

Running it untouched used to be recommended, but not anymore. If firmware update creates issues, keep a copy of the current firmware handy if possible.

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Updating firmware is always recommended as there are crucial patches, specially security patches which should be applied as soon as they are available. With the kind of security flaws exposed nowadays, you never know when it can be vulnerable.

Running it untouched used to be recommended, but not anymore. If firmware update creates issues, keep a copy of the current firmware handy if possible.

So firmware update of RAM is reversible? I don't have other RAM around so if the update mess up anything, I will not be able to use the computer. How to keep a copy of current firmware?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never heard of ram needing a firmware update or having any issues with security or needing patches. It's ram. It's nothing more than flash storage where anything functional is done via the memory controller in the cpu. EEC is a little different, but still has no firmware to speak of.

That said, the only reason for a firmware update on the ram that I can see is for the RGB, most likely a compatability addendum or some slight voltage changes

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
There's nothing in ram. Cpus have firmware. Only thing in ram is the jedec stuff and ident for bios usage. It's like a hdd without the controller, just storage. When the pc is off, it's blank storage, nothing remains in ram.

I got a reply from Corsair about what the update does. They mentioned:

"It fixes a couple of RGB compatibility issues.

It will not affect the RAM itself, only the RGB component.

If it does fail the update I can provide the file for a manual flashing of it."

So it is fine to do it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As I said, rgb compatability. In other words, there's mobo's out there running software that's not compatible with the rams rgb. Does yours work as advertised? If it does, you don't need the update, but it's not gonna hurt anything to get it. If the RGB isn't working as it should, you prolly do need the update.

Either way, it's not going to affect the ram or its performance, just its colors.

When rgb first gained a foothold, everybody had their own way of doing things. Asus, Gigabyte, Corsair, msi, thermaltake etc were all different designs and not much worked in harmony or concert. You had to have asus certified stuff to work on asus mobo's, that had asus compliant connectors. Corsair was worse, they had rgb that had the exact same 4pin connectors as a pwm fan. Created all kinds of havok. The update intends to rectify that by being more compatible with more motherboards and more software, so ppl can run their corsair rgb using thermaltake software, or Nzxt hue+ etc etc. It's still not perfectly standardized, it's new, but ppl are getting there slowly but surely and most better 3rd party vendors are getting behind a single 4pin RGB etc. And that includes ram and other gizmos.

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doubt it. They are 2 totally seperate sub-systems, one doesn't touch the other. Kinda like saying your paint job is ruined because the battery in your car died. You can pull off the heatsinking and the RGB and have fully functioning ram. The only thing they have in common is power feed and ground from the pcie.