[SOLVED] Is it a good practice to use the Graphics Card only when required?

Mar 7, 2022
Will the life of the Graphics card last long, if we insert the GPU only when necessary while playing games, and when it is not needed, we can operate with the motherboard's display?
In other words what I am suggesting is to keep the GPU unconnected to the Motherboard while doing normal usage of the PC, and connecting the GPU while playing games.

I thought of this because my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti Mini) which I got replaced by RMA, was just some 9 months old, did not play any major games except BF1(played only half the campaign), GTA V- 5 times, and the Old game Far Cry 3, these are all the games which I played with the brand new RMA replaced GPU, now anyone can agree the aforementioned games are not going to put any heavy load on the GPU, given the fact that I always keep the settings in medium or low with the intention of not to hurt or damage the GPU, but now within 9 months without playing any major AA games, it broke I did not get a display in the Graphics Card port, but with the Motherboard port, I get the display which obviously means the GPU broke.
So I was thinking if I had kept the GPU disconnected when I did not play games then the life of the GPU might have lasted like 3-4 years, which is now shortened to mere 9 months.

Solution
In other words what I am suggesting is to keep the GPU unconnected to the Motherboard while doing normal usage of the PC, and connecting the GPU while playing games.
This is sure way to kill GPU and/or mobo way faster then any normal usage could.
I thought of this because my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti Mini) which I got replaced by RMA, was just some 9 months old
Failures happen. Some people have their cards fail in less then 2 weeks. Do you think it was because they did too much gaming in those 2 weeks? On the other hand my current GPU is 9 years old. 9 years of playing daily, sometimes many hours per day. Yet it is still going as new.
So I was thinking if I had kept the GPU disconnected when I did not play games then the life...
Mar 7, 2022
Overclocking and heat kills graphics cards.

The average temperature of the GPU when I browsing or watching videos would be around 35-39 degree.

And majority of the time it is in this temperature, very rarely I play games.

And I never overclock since I was afraid that it might damage the GPU, also I keep the game settings always to medium or low.

Despite all these measure my GPU stopped working.

Mar 23, 2022
I would expect constant unplugging and plugging in is likely to cause excessive wear of the pcie pins on the card or motherboard slot. I’ve got an old gpu that’s at least 7 years old and still works. I think the lifespan has more to do with luck if temperatures are kept sensible.
This - and also increases chances of damages caused by static discharge.
Proper ventilation and unblocked fans is the way to go. And sometimes hardware malfunctions happen regardless.

Reactions: seriouseditview

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
It's completely unnecessary.
If you want to get creative you can disable the GPU via device manager and use the onboard GPU.
This implies you have a monitor with 2 inputs and both are connected so you switch between the 2 by enabling/disabling the graphics card.
In any case it's a lot of effort for no gain really as the others have also indicated so just leave it there.

KyaraM

Admirable
Will the life of the Graphics card last long, if we insert the GPU only when necessary while playing games, and when it is not needed, we can operate with the motherboard's display?

I thought of this because my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti Mini) which I got replaced by RMA, was just some 9 months old, did not play any major games except BF1(played only half the campaign), GTA V- 5 times, and the Old game Far Cry 3, these are all the games which I played with the brand new RMA replaced GPU, now anyone can agree the aforementioned games are not going to put any heavy load on the GPU, given the fact that I always keep the settings in medium or low with the intention of not to hurt or damage the GPU, but now within 9 months without playing any major AA games, it broke I did not get a display in the Graphics Card port, but with the Motherboard port, I get the display which obviously means the GPU broke.
So I was thinking if I had kept the GPU disconnected when I did not play games then the life of the GPU might have lasted like 3-4 years, which is now shortened to mere 9 months.
That makes absolutely no sense. Also, my GTX 1070 was running under pretty heavy gaming load for over 5 years and is still performing exceptionally well. Any wear did not decrease performance at all. You were unlucky. That sucks, but <Mod Edit> happens. Just put it aside. Also, my experience is that getting the GPU out of the socket is a pain in the butt. You are more likely to damage something by slipping the more often you take it out simply through statistical chance. Unless there is no good reason, like deep cleaning or changing the card out, just leave it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: seriouseditview
This is sure way to kill GPU and/or mobo way faster then any normal usage could.
I thought of this because my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti Mini) which I got replaced by RMA, was just some 9 months old
Failures happen. Some people have their cards fail in less then 2 weeks. Do you think it was because they did too much gaming in those 2 weeks? On the other hand my current GPU is 9 years old. 9 years of playing daily, sometimes many hours per day. Yet it is still going as new.
You'll never know how much given electronic component will last. This is granted. It MAY last longer if you not abuse it, but that's not granted. And playing games daily is not abusing, the GPU was built to do it.

Solution