[SOLVED] Is it a good time to get an iMac? Or is a new version out really soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I have a problem with my current self built machine http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3148576/gigabyte-bootloop-bios-autorecovery-post-lights.html. So I am considering getting an iMac to replace it. Was wondering if a new iMac is coming out soon? When is the likely release? Is it worth the wait - or is there nothing really new? Of course if I have to wait, I will need to repair the existing machine, or rely on my work Macbook Air.

Solution
The only problems I have ever had with pcs are problems I have created myself. I have used macs, and I have friends with macs, and overall, there are pros and cons to each brand. I am a fan of OS-X in the fact that it is very user friendly, and macs come with a lot of good software that you don't get with a windows system. I also like the unity mac has with other Apple products. However, macs are also WAAAAY over priced for the performance, they do not work well with other platforms, they are hard and expensive to service, and I'm not sure if gaming is your thing, but a lot of games don't work on OS-X.

If you're gonna make the car comparison, I would say mac is comparable to BMW, and windows is comparable to everything else. With BMW...

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Technically.... Tom's Hardware > Forum > OS X

Not sure if you are just a fanboy, or just stupid but OS X is a Mac operating system. So technically asking a question about Mac hardware in this forum is appropriate and your response is inappropriate.

Hopefully you are not just another M$ fanboy with no f*cking clue other than what M$ tells you is good. Not everyone's world goes round about Winblows10 and their other defective POS operating systems.

To answer the OP's question, please refer to MacRumors website. While no one knows for certain when and what specific features the new iMacs will have, it is anticipated that a new version will be released soon. It appears they are averaging about 317 days and it is day 301.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Being that close, I'd probably wait a little bit myself. Then when you know the hardware, etc of each variant I would make my decision. Typically speaking, the new iMac can be had for the current pricing and the old releases (but still NIB) will be discounted a few hundred bucks.

By the way, if you have a need/desire to run different operating systems on the iMac you do have options. If you don't know, new Macs are made from Intel processors so you can also install Windows on the machine if you desired. Or you could do a triple boot and run Linux as well. Alternatively, you could run a program like Parallels and never have to reboot to get into Windows, Linux, Chrome, etc. operating systems. Not to mention the power of the Unix command line in OS X is very powerful as well and you'd never have to do anything special to use that other than learn the commands.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Perhaps I asked at the wrong place. Anyways I know about hackintosh. Managed to install before, but had random crashes too frequently. Ok but I'd reconsider getting a PC and retrying hackintosh ... maybe.

The thing about a PC is I kind of doubt its reliability. Macs somehow seem to last longer

I was referring to jsmith. Should have quoted him

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Years ago I switched to the Mac platform for the same reasons. This was pre-OS X. Went back to PC for a few years and hated it. Made the transition back under OS 9. Did some beta testing with OS X and been Mac since.

Most employers here use PC and also my daughter prefers PC on our home network so I have not been able to break free of those machines. That said I've seen a lot of various OS and hardware and can safely say Macs are built good. To get comparable performance and durability from a PC you have to spend comparable dollars.

I like to compare to cars. Macs are kind of like Corvettes, not the fastest and best for all people but a performance car nonetheless. Most PC range between a family car to a base model Mustang. Price is better obviously but performance is very different. When you start talking a Hellcat Challenger, Dodge Viper or Mustamg GT500R cars now we are in the same league as the Corvette but so are the prices. At this point it becomes about preference and who you trust, more than price.

The only problems I have ever had with pcs are problems I have created myself. I have used macs, and I have friends with macs, and overall, there are pros and cons to each brand. I am a fan of OS-X in the fact that it is very user friendly, and macs come with a lot of good software that you don't get with a windows system. I also like the unity mac has with other Apple products. However, macs are also WAAAAY over priced for the performance, they do not work well with other platforms, they are hard and expensive to service, and I'm not sure if gaming is your thing, but a lot of games don't work on OS-X.

If you're gonna make the car comparison, I would say mac is comparable to BMW, and windows is comparable to everything else. With BMW, you get a nice looking, high performance car, but it's gonna cost you a ton of money, and everything is BMW specific: it needs a BMW mechanic to do any work on it, and its gonna be expensive when it needs work. Windows pc's can be anything from a crappy 10 year old beater that can barely drive, to the fastest car on the road, it's all about how much you can afford to spend on the car/upgrades.

And you can absolutely get a macs performance for a whole lot less than a macs price, I could build an $800 pc that would absolutely destroy a $1500 mac. I would say that in the end though, it comes down to user preference. If the user wants to spend the extra money to have the extra features that a mac has in terms of software/ease of use, then go for it. But if you want the best bang for your buck performance wise, go with a windows pc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.