Question Is it bad to plug in and unplug IEMs everyday?

Jun 16, 2022
I have the CCA CRA IEM and I only use them when playing games that make my laptop fans really loud. This means that I am plugging and unplugging them at least once a day, but for the past few days I've been doing it twice. I'm worried that doing this so frequently will damage the audio jack. Will this actually happen? If so, is there a way I can play audio through the IEM and laptop speakers at the same time so I can keep the IEM plugged in all the time?

Ralston18

Titan
This product?

https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/cca-cra-review-the-best-deal-in-audio

I would not expect that frequent plug-ins and unplugs would damage the audio jack. However connecting and disconnecting is done roughly and if the audio jack is of poor design, materials, and construction then indeed the audio jack could fail prematurely. It is likely already designed to have some intended EOL (End of Life). Still should be okay for hundreds of connection cycles. Any audio device - not just IEMs.

Just unplug the IEMs carefully.

Hopefully the IEMs and laptop can both withstand a few hundred plug-ins and unplugs.

However based on the IEM price range I think the audio jacks are far more likely to outlast the quality of the IEMs.

= = = =

I would be more concerned about why the fans are really loud. Does the laptop also get very warm or even hot?

Laptop specs? What games are you playing? Games that are loud versus games that are not loud.

Check the required hardware specs for the games.

Jun 16, 2022
I use a gaming laptop, specifically the Gigabyte G5 KD. It's normal for gaming laptop fans to be loud when playing demanding games. I always monitor my temperatures with MSI Afterburner and they're never at unsafe temperatures.

I use a gaming laptop, specifically the Gigabyte G5 KD. It's normal for gaming laptop fans to be loud when playing demanding games. I always monitor my temperatures with MSI Afterburner and they're never at unsafe temperatures.
That's how they keep the components at safe temperatures. The fans are small so they have to spin fast to move a lot of air. And spinning fast means more noise.