[SOLVED] Is it best to buy PC build parts around Black Friday?

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Quick question for anyone that knows. I have my PC Build finalized. And I'm so excited to just get it all now and build it, so I can start using it. But... with Black Friday coming up in about 2 months, I'm just wondering if it would be a big deal to wait or not?

Like, I know generic stuff will be on sale during/around Black Friday. Certain TV's, monitors, specific pre built PC's and laptops, etc. But not so sure if SPECIFIC pc parts will be on sale or not? So just wondering if you guys know much about that? Will most or a lot of the specific parts to make a PC be on sale for really good deals? Or not really and very random?

I'm not budging on my build and have my build exactly how I want it, and if I know that most or all of my parts will be on sale for 20-50% off around the holidays, then I definitely think it would be best to wait. But if it's only going to be a few things here and there, and not my specific parts, then there's no point in waiting, and I'm just going to place my order now.

And I know you can't tell me if my specific parts will be on sale. but I'm not asking that. I'm asking if "in general" lots or most of the parts used to build a PC go on sale at NewEgg, Amazon, etc around Black Friday? Or is it usually just a few things here and there?

Thanks

Solution
"In general" no, your specific parts likely wont see any sort of sale. Last year was exceptionally rough.
PC components usually fall under high demand items, which means retailers have zero reason to discount them further. Youll buy them anyway.
Peripherals, monitors, accessories, or software? Absolutely, those dont move nearly the same volume, so sales are likely.

If you have your system picked out and ready to go, then Id say build it.
I usually recommend against the idea of waiting for something to get cheaper, or for new hardware to come out (unless its releasing soon), because that logic will always be flawed into waiting more. There will always be something cheaper and better later, what matters now is if you need the...
"In general" no, your specific parts likely wont see any sort of sale. Last year was exceptionally rough.
PC components usually fall under high demand items, which means retailers have zero reason to discount them further. Youll buy them anyway.
Peripherals, monitors, accessories, or software? Absolutely, those dont move nearly the same volume, so sales are likely.

I usually recommend against the idea of waiting for something to get cheaper, or for new hardware to come out (unless its releasing soon), because that logic will always be flawed into waiting more. There will always be something cheaper and better later, what matters now is if you need the system.

I had a GPU die on me, I had to buy my 6700XT on the spot. Sure prices have come down a bit since then, but those months of down time would have been unacceptable.

Reactions: Haliax68
Solution
If you're looking for specific items, then no, Black Friday is not a good time to do it. And even if something goes on sale, it won't be any better than any other time it'll go on sale.

Pick out what you want, then start hounding the places that sell it, then buy it when it's at a price you want. Or sign up for some news letter or something that compiles this information for you.

I'm not budging on my build and have my build exactly how I want it, and if I know that most or all of my parts will be on sale for 20-50% off around the holidays, then I definitely think it would be best to wait.

It would be rank speculation to suggest any of your parts will be on sale at all....let alone 20 to 50%.

If you definitely are not budging, you shouldn't wait.

Few parts are seen at more than 20% off in my experience.

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
While the RGB ecosystem is complex, and can be used to control several devices from 1 software, given that all your hardware is from the same brand; it is actually the easiest way of PC RGB. I'm not saying that you have to use all the other RGB capable hardware. What i'm suggesting, is, that when you start going down the RGB route, you'll have it far easier with one brand RGB ecosystem, than with different brand components.

I usually recommend against the idea of waiting for something to get cheaper, or for new hardware to come out (unless its releasing soon), because that logic will always be flawed into waiting more. There will always be something cheaper and better later, what matters now is if you need the system.

I had a GPU die on me, I had to buy my 6700XT on the spot. Sure prices have come down a bit since then, but those months of down time would have been unacceptable.
If you're looking for specific items, then no, Black Friday is not a good time to do it. And even if something goes on sale, it won't be any better than any other time it'll go on sale.

Pick out what you want, then start hounding the places that sell it, then buy it when it's at a price you want. Or sign up for some news letter or something that compiles this information for you.
It would be rank speculation to suggest any of your parts will be on sale at all....let alone 20 to 50%.

If you definitely are not budging, you shouldn't wait.

Few parts are seen at more than 20% off in my experience.

Ok, that's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you so much for all your help guys. I will keep my fingers crossed that one of the monitors I want to grab is on sale, but will just go ahead and buy my parts now for my PC build. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Side note, one of my parts on my build WAS on sale this week for $13 off! My Corsair Vengeance RT memory, so I grabbed that. That was a nice little bonus

I will keep my fingers crossed that one of the monitors I want to grab is on sale, but will just go ahead and buy my parts now for my PC build. Thanks for all your help everyone!

I wouldn't buy NOW unless I was going to assemble NOW.

You don't want to let new parts sit on a shelf unassembled for weeks or months while waiting on a final part. Some of those parts could be dead as a doornail and you would not know it.

If you can test your build with some other monitor, go ahead. Otherwise, buy everything when you buy the new monitor.

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
I wouldn't buy NOW unless I was going to assemble NOW.

You don't want to let new parts sit on a shelf unassembled for weeks or months while waiting on a final part. Some of those parts could be dead as a doornail and you would not know it.

If you can test your build with some other monitor, go ahead. Otherwise, buy everything when you buy the new monitor.
Oh no. I think you misunderstand. I already have 1 nice monitor. I'm just waiting for Black Friday to see if I can scoop up a second one, to have 2 monitors. Thanks for the advice though

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I see that i got quoted from another topic, thus drawing my attention to this one. :D

I agree with above, if you need your parts, buy them right now, rather than waiting for a sale (which may never come).

As far as Black Friday and other, known big sales go, these are usually the times when stores want to get rid of the excess stock, which won't be bought on normal prices. Hardware that is on demand, rarely, if ever, sees any discounts. It's always been the stuff with low, if any, demand, that gets discounted. Same goes with bundles though (e.g GPU + PSU), whereby excess stock (in my example, PSU) is bundled with high demand item (GPU), so that store can make some money off from excess stock.