Is it better to share your ram for vram?

NathanSwift

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Well i have 2gb of vram in my gtx 770 but i want more but if i share my normal ram will it be better? will my vram turn to 128 bits?? because it's now always 256 bits. will it be better?

Solution
You can't share your main memory, per se, directly with a stand alone video card. The drivers can use some main memory as needed, but not in the way you are thinking.

When you have a video card, like the GTX 770, it's memory really has no relationship with the memory on the motherboard. They are separate and discrete from one another.

To increase the dedicated memory on your video card, you would have to upgrade your video card to a model with more memory.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can't share your main memory, per se, directly with a stand alone video card. The drivers can use some main memory as needed, but not in the way you are thinking.

When you have a video card, like the GTX 770, it's memory really has no relationship with the memory on the motherboard. They are separate and discrete from one another.

To increase the dedicated memory on your video card, you would have to upgrade your video card to a model with more memory.

Solution