[SOLVED] Is it common to use built on video with a video card for multi monitors?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I've got a Lenovo IS6XM rev 1.0 motherboard on Win7. Never a problem. Today I wanted to try hooking up an older monitor as a 2nd monitor that takes just a VGA input. I could only get a signal if I used either the built on video without the PCI-E video card installed (but probably needed drivers) or directly off the video card's VGA output. Even if I didn't connect any cable to the video card the built on video wouldn't operate if I had the video card plugged in. Is this typical? I thought one of the advantages of built on video is to be able to use it with cheap, older monitors in a multi monitor setup with the video card handling the workload for our main monitor. I sure never expected one to cancel out the other.

Solution
I've got a Lenovo IS6XM rev 1.0 motherboard on Win7. Never a problem. Today I wanted to try hooking up an older monitor as a 2nd monitor that takes just a VGA input. I could only get a signal if I used either the built on video without the PCI-E video card installed (but probably needed drivers) or directly off the video card's VGA output. Even if I didn't connect any cable to the video card the built on video wouldn't operate if I had the video card plugged in. Is this typical? I thought one of the advantages of built on video is to be able to use it with cheap, older monitors in a multi monitor setup with the video card handling the workload for our main monitor. I sure never expected one to cancel out the other.
That...
That solely depends on MB and BIOS, some allow it some not. Most would just automatically switch off MB output when dedicated GPU is inserted. The ones that do allow it have a setting in BIOS for that. So, just look in BIOS which is the case.

Solution