Is it Dual Core or Quad core?

Wolverine9999999

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
HI!,
I have AMD opteron 2222 3.00 ghz 2 cpus installed. This cpu is dual core but I have 2 installed so it should be Quad core or no ? in task manager it shows 2 cores , in device manager it shows 4 cores & in ms config it shows 2 ... soi it is dual core or quad core?

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Technically, you have 4 cores, but they're on different CPUs, so it would be 2 physical cores per CPU, 4 for the system whole. Being on the same motherboard, you could just as well say you have 4, because it is true.

However if a thread needs to be moved from, say, core 1 to core 3, it has to travel over the HT link between the CPUs, rather than from cache to cache on the same chip. This has much higher latency and reduces performance. Two dual core CPUs are not equivalent to a single quad core, all else being equal.

That's not actually the case though. He has two physical CPUs each with two physical cores. So there are four cores and four threads, only communication between the two CPUs can take a performance hit compared to having all four cores on the same processor.

The eight "threads" in your case, involve up to two threads operating more efficiently on each core. That allows for better performance than switching back and forth between a pair of threads on a single core without hyperthreading, but two threads on one core generally won't perform nearly as well as two threads on two separate physical cores.

Wolverine9999999

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Yes, I have 2 physical cpus. But in task manager it shows 2 cores only as you said I have 4 cores .So, I am confused.

And thanks everyone for your replies :D

And are there any moderator here who can change my username for me?

Mod don't change usernames, if it's offensive they delete the account. You have to make a new one.