[SOLVED] Is it effective to replace a CPU?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hi,

I currently have an AMD A10 7800 FM2+ Box R7 Series Graphics 3.9 4 Socket FM2+ AD7800YBJABOX in my CPU.

The fan seems to be working fine. Speccy shows my CPU temp generally runs around 64 to 72 degrees celsius. But, it also will go as high as 92 degrees celsius.

My PC keeps crashing a few times a day. All I get is a generic STOPCODE ERROR message and a QR code that is half blocked by the bottom of my screen.

I can get a new replacement CPU for $120.00. How likely is this going to fix my problem, given that diagnostics don't show any other issues?

Also, is there any free or trial software that can help run the fan(s) that doesn't require a lot of experience? I want software that will diagnose and configure the fans for me. Tried a few more complex ones and couldn't do a thing with them. Maybe it is too late to fix this issue with software?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Since there is no front fan, if my google search was correct, you should have one fan header left, on the motherboard. That is where you would need to plug it in, for power. You may need an extension to reach it. You also need a 92mm fan, for that empty space. I left the CPU cooler in.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 CPU Cooler ($25.90 @ B&H)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F9 35 CFM 92 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: 12" PWM 4 pin extension cable with Black Sleeving # FC44PWM-12BKS ($4.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $40.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-11 12:25 EST-0500

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

I don't think any software will help your problem which is the CPU overheating. To solve this, I recommend replacing the thermal paste. If not, don't replace the CPU just get a cheap LGA1150 mobo+cpu bundle from ebay with an i5 and stick in a gtx 750 ti.

Reactions: Why_Me
buying any of the assorted (and hopefully compatible) pre-AM4 CPUs are not really worthy of investigating...' the mainboards themselves are more likely the source of assorted issues, but, short of finding some cpu/mainboard combo for $30, I'd refrain from sinking more money into something that was considered slow even when it was introduced, and, even the best of which will be figuratively manhandled by an R5-1600AF or i5-12400

Reactions: King_V

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
buying any of the assorted (and hopefully compatible) pre-AM4 CPUs are not really worthy of investigating...' the mainboards themselves are more likely the source of assorted issues, but, short of finding some cpu/mainboard combo for $30, I'd refrain from sinking more money into something that was considered slow even when it was introduced, and, even the best of which will be figuratively manhandled by an R5-1600AF or i5-12400
The mainboard doesn't seem to be having any issues based on diagnostics. Also, I am not concerned about speed presently. The computer had served me well for about 7 years.

Last edited:

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

I don't think any software will help your problem which is the CPU overheating. To solve this, I recommend replacing the thermal paste. If not, don't replace the CPU just get a cheap LGA1150 mobo+cpu bundle from ebay with an i5 and stick in a gtx 750 ti.
Hmm. This is probably more than I want to spend though. I found a new CPU that is the same type as the one currently overheating (after 6 or 7 years of reliable use) and it is only $120.00. Maybe will try the thermal paste for starters. Do you recommend any specific type of thermal paste?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Redo the thermal paste, or get a better cooler. If it is the stock cooler, I would get a better one. This one will fit in most cases, and isn't very expensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: $25.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-11 09:08 EST-0500
Thanks! Could you please recommend a thermal paste and a good guide or some tips for that process? I will start with the thermal paste.

When I booted up this morning the CPU temp was 56 degrees Celsius. Been running maybe 15 to 20 minutes and it is up to 78 degrees Celsius and slowly climbing. The motherboard is 44 degrees Celsius so I am hoping the thermal paste will work. Currently have a small fan blowing into the side grill of the tower and the temperature went from 83 degrees Celsius to 76 degrees Celsius in about 4 minutes.

Last edited:
A problem with those motherboard was the vrm cooling.
Your temps are too high.
What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement?
Do you have a hot graphics card?
You should have a couple of front 120mm intakes to get good cooling.
In the interim, take the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.
See if that helps.

A new cpu is not likely to do any good unless it is a slower and less heat generating unit.
You really don't want to do that.

The purpose of fan control is to adjust the fan speed according to load.
Your motherboard bios may have this capability, or not.
So long as the fans are running, it likely will not matter.

There may be some value in replacing the thermal paste, but I doubt it.
OTOH, if the cooler has come loose, remounting would be good.

No sense in spending $100 for an obsolete replacement.
$100 will buy you a i3-10100 with twice the threads and performance.
Add any lga1200 motherboard which might be $80, and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit for $55 and you will have a quick pc.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I would go with this. There should be some videos, on youtube, on how to prep and apply, the thermal paste, for your cpu socket.

PCPartPicker Part List

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-5 Incl. Spatula 2 g Thermal Paste ($5.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $5.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-11 09:52 EST-0500
Thank you. I bought the thermal paste. I also noticed by viewing the back of my tower that there is a whole other space for a third fan. If the thermal paste doesn't help much, maybe I will get the $25.00 fan you mentioned as the next step. My concern is that the third fan will cause a drag on the system somehow. Just guessing. Not that tech savvy with hardware. Thoughts? 3 fans better than 2 I guess so just replace the current fan if the thermal paste has little effect.

Last edited:

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
A problem with those motherboard was the vrm cooling.
Your temps are too high.
What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement?
Do you have a hot graphics card?
You should have a couple of front 120mm intakes to get good cooling.
In the interim, take the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.
See if that helps.

A new cpu is not likely to do any good unless it is a slower and less heat generating unit.
You really don't want to do that.

The purpose of fan control is to adjust the fan speed according to load.
Your motherboard bios may have this capability, or not.
So long as the fans are running, it likely will not matter.

There may be some value in replacing the thermal paste, but I doubt it.
OTOH, if the cooler has come loose, remounting would be good.

No sense in spending $100 for an obsolete replacement.
$100 will buy you a i3-10100 with twice the threads and performance.
Add any lga1200 motherboard which might be $80, and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit for $55 and you will have a quick pc.
  1. You think it is the motherboard?
  2. There are two fans. A TaiSol 12 VDC Ball Bearing and an HK Fan Model AS8?25H12. The "?" is where a character is blocked by the screen and I can't see it. The make/model of my case is a LENOVO H50 - 90BG003JUS.
  3. The graphics card temp is between 16 to 24 degrees Celsius. I would say not hot at all.

Reactions: Kona45primo

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Does your system have a fan in the front? A picture of the inside would be helpful.
Here is a photo of the inside.

https://postimg.cc/mtPVZ3Zj

If you download the image it is about 2.21 MB so should give you better detail if needed. You can obviously see the one fan at the center of the image. The other one is in the casing on the upper left of the photo and the empty space for the third fan is below that.

I am assuming the CPU is under the fan that is positioned in the center of the photo, which is where I will go to apply the thermal paste.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Since there is no front fan, if my google search was correct, you should have one fan header left, on the motherboard. That is where you would need to plug it in, for power. You may need an extension to reach it. You also need a 92mm fan, for that empty space. I left the CPU cooler in.

PCPartPicker Part List

Custom: 12" PWM 4 pin extension cable with Black Sleeving # FC44PWM-12BKS ($4.71 @ Amazon)

Solution

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

PCPartPicker Part List

Nice! So the ARCTIC F9 goes in the space on the left. And the CPU Cooler replaces the current one. My concern is the 3 copper heat pipes on the bottom of the Rock Slim CPU cooler. Looks like the CPU cooler is supposed to mount on the motherboard on top of those? That's not how my current CPU cooler fits in my case. Unless mounting it on top of the 3 pipes is optional? I am referring to this photo here:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81P5yqQE0NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It looks like it is mounted on top of the motherboard by the heat pipes not the 4 screws?

I will keep these specs handy and we'll see how it goes once I clean up the old/apply the new thermal paste when it arrives.

I have some of those alcohol type lens cleaning wipes to clean up the old thermal paste as I hear rubbing alcohol works for that.

Last edited:

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Nice! So the ARCTIC F9 goes in the space on the left. And the CPU Cooler replaces the current one. My concern is the 3 copper heat pipes on the bottom of the Rock Slim CPU cooler. Looks like the CPU cooler is supposed to mount on the motherboard on top of those? That's not how my current CPU cooler fits in my case. Unless mounting it on top of the 3 pipes is optional? I am referring to this photo here:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81P5yqQE0NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It looks like it is mounted on top of the motherboard by the heat pipes not the 4 screws?

I will keep these specs handy and we'll see how it goes once I clean up the old/apply the new thermal paste when it arrives.

I have some of those alcohol type lens cleaning wipes to clean up the old thermal paste as I hear rubbing alcohol works for that.
Replaced the CPU fan, thermal paste, and added an extra rear fan to blow out the back. Now heat is being blown from the new CPU fan to the extra rear fan and out the back of the PC.

I first replaced the thermal paste, and tried that alone. Then I added the fan and tried that. The final step was replacing the entire CPU fan which really made all the difference.

Current temperatures are 52-62 Celsius with low activity and 77-82 with the CPU under stress. This is a pretty good decrease from the original temperatures of 64 to 72 degrees Celsius for low activity and temps as high as 92 degrees celsius when under a higher load of processing activity.

TRENDING THREADS