Is it even possible to use 16GB of RAM if you don't video edit?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I am looking into an Alienware purchase and I want to go with 16GB of RAM cus that's just the standard but is there even any point or will I just be wasting money if I am just gaming not editing?

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
i regularly go over 8GB's usage during my daily workflow, but if your not designing or programing, then greater than 8GB's of RAM isn't going to be much better than 8GB's. i wouldn't call it a wast to buy more RAM now than you need, as down the line two or three years that extra memory will likely be necessary.

JasonL265

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Yea i think 16GB is a good number if you plan to game while having programs up in the background. I actually have 32 GB on my system, but its way over kill, only got it cause it was on sale. 32GB of G.skill 1600 ram for $100 bucks? too good to let that pass.

Looks at my own monitoring of my system. So just base OS, rainmeter, Skype, email monitor, Nvidia app, one drive and drop box, running VLC music and having about 30 webpages open I am eating atm 6.2GB of RAM. If you MULTITASK alot it is easy to go OVER 8 GB, what I just said is 'A typical' of most 'teenagers' these days, they multitaks, for those older then I (and I am 47) they can't understand how anyone goes over 4GB, since they aren't running Windows 7 Aero, don't look at email except when they want to, don't run Skype all the time, don't etc. etc. etc.

So it all depends WHAT you do that matters for the amount of RAM you need.