Is it fine to use 70% Alcohol to clean CPU thermal paste?

Saleh_5

Honorable
Mar 6, 2017
My dad went and bought 70% alcohol instead of 99%
What is the difference between 70% and 99%?
Also should should i return it and get 99% instead?
Or is it the same?

Solution
You can use either one of them, just be sure to dip the q tip lightly or lint free paper towel and wipe off the grease sparingly.
Any smears left by the grease you use hot tap water with a paper towel to get the rest of it off the cpu.
Dry it off with a lint free cloth and let it sit in a tiny box for 10 minutes.
Been doing this for nearly 18 years and never had a problem with it.

450.jpg

4745454b

Titan
It's the alcohol content that's different. 90+ contains more alcohol in it than the 70+ stuff. Due to the lower alcohol content it will be harder to remove the TIM. More scrubbing will be involved from what I remember. You don't need to return it as it should get the job done. Just don't be surprised if it takes longer to do it. You might also need to be careful with the chip if it has pins on it.

You can use either one of them, just be sure to dip the q tip lightly or lint free paper towel and wipe off the grease sparingly.
Any smears left by the grease you use hot tap water with a paper towel to get the rest of it off the cpu.
Dry it off with a lint free cloth and let it sit in a tiny box for 10 minutes.
Been doing this for nearly 18 years and never had a problem with it.

450.jpg

Solution

Saleh_5

Honorable
Mar 6, 2017
How can i know if my CPU is dry? Can i touch it to check?

4745454b

Titan
People will tell you not to touch the CPU. Oil from your finger can stay on the heatspreader. Honestly unless you are going for records this doesn't really matter much. Alcohol evaps into the air rather quickly so it should be dry nearly immediately.

Yes use your finger tip and touch the top of the cpu, if you don't feel any wet spots or moisture.
Then you put it back into the mobo, apply the grease properly, hook on the heatsink.
Boot into bios setup and let it run for 3 minutes, then boot into windows and check it later with hwmonitor.

mrobscura

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017

no, dont touch the heat spreader on the cpu. your finger will leave oils that can effect thermals. simply, clean off the thermal paste with the alcohol and then let it sit for a few minutes to assure that its dry. with 91% you can literally see it evaporate before you eyes as you clean the cpu, so 70% shouldnt take long. like i said just let it sit a few minutes after your done and itll be fine.

4745454b

Titan
From my first post.

People will tell you not to touch the CPU. Oil from your finger can stay on the heatspreader. Honestly unless you are going for records this doesn't really matter much.

I agree that there is no need to touch it. But there is also no need to treat it like it belongs in a clean room. It's ok, stand down.