[SOLVED] Is it good or bad that the CPU of LCD is Cortex A8?

bancroft

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 25, 2021
CPU of LCD is Cortex A8 with 1GB Hz.
Is this an indication of good or bad?
It is a 7" capacitive screen.

Solution
No. I would actually argue for a touch screen that a Cortex A based controller is overkill, unless it's doing everything including throwing stuff up on the LCD as opposed to using a dedicated LCD controller.

For context, this is the same processor core that was in the iPhone 4.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Presuming you meant 1GHz - What you have here sounded like an old and not particularly large tablet, presumably with Android installed at stock.

Whether it's good or bad is impossible to answer without knowing what you would use it for.

bancroft

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 25, 2021
Presuming you meant 1GHz - What you have here sounded like an old and not particularly large tablet, presumably with Android installed at stock.

Whether it's good or bad is impossible to answer without knowing what you would use it for.

It is an HMI, touchable TFT LCD, which I use to communicate with the microcontroller.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
It is an HMI, touchable TFT LCD, which I use to communicate with the microcontroller.
Ah, so it's like a tablet with exposed GPIO and buses. I see.

But it's still impossible to answer without more details of what you want to do.

For example, as the control panel and logic board for a hypothetical smart refrigerator, it'd probably be more than enough.

Science museum exhibit calculating and displaying fractals on the fly, less so.

...and, it might be a bit out of scope for a consumer electronics forum.

No. I would actually argue for a touch screen that a Cortex A based controller is overkill, unless it's doing everything including throwing stuff up on the LCD as opposed to using a dedicated LCD controller.

For context, this is the same processor core that was in the iPhone 4.

Reactions: JWNoctis
Solution