[SOLVED] Is it GPU or motherboard? With my luck it could be both.

Jan 18, 2021
Windows updated my display drivers and all hell broke loose.
I lost my full HD resolution, highest now is 1600x1200 but if I select it I get "out of range", so I’m using 1440x900.
Also, my screen lost red color and everything went green and blue (I was using DVI adapter and VGA cable).
I switched from VGA to HDMI cable and fixed the issue, but not for long, cause few days later HDMI port stopped working
after PC suddenly decided to restart itself for some reason.
So, now I’m back on VGA and picture is green again. I ordered DP/HDMI cable to see if I get colors back from Display port.
Meanwhile, I tried installing dozen different (old and new) display drivers to get my 1920x1080 resolution back. No luck.
I even reverted back to Windows 7 and ancient Control Catalyst driver I found on MSI site for my motherboard. Still nothing.
Now I’m back to Windows 10 + latest drivers and I just ran FurMark test on my card. It’s working well but screen is still green,
even when I connect my PC to TV. So I guess that means my display is OK. Could it be my motherboard is causing all this?
Also, how can I test HDMI port on my card? It’s strange how it just stopped working after that restart.

PS. Under display driver properties in Device Manager it shows "amdkmdag not started" event.
Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_683F&SUBSYS_27921462&REV_00\4&1650f288&0&0010 requires further installation.

Btw, this is what my screen looks like: Print Screen MyPOV
Are they both green?

My system:
BIOS: v11.5 12/02/13
Display: ASUS VX239H (VGA HDMIx2)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 750K Quad Core 4.02 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 7750 HD 1GB (DVI HDMI DP)

Last edited:
Solution
OK... I don’t know what just happened.
After I accidentally left my PC unattended it entered a sleep mode, so when I returned and switched it back on the fullHD resolution was back??? After everything I’ve done to get it back... it just decided to appear on its own. Don’t get me wrong, I AM GRATEFUL, but at the same time... WTF?!
So of course I pushed my luck and pluged in HDMI cable and IT WORKS! The colors are back and I’m so happy I could cry.
It seems HDMI port and resolution problem were connected somehow. I don’t know and I don’t care. Just hope this lasts.
Jan 18, 2021
Changed DVI adapter and tried three different VGA cables. I think it’s DVI port or something worse.
Connected HDMI to the GPU. It worked great for a few days.

Jan 18, 2021
OK... I don’t know what just happened.
After I accidentally left my PC unattended it entered a sleep mode, so when I returned and switched it back on the fullHD resolution was back??? After everything I’ve done to get it back... it just decided to appear on its own. Don’t get me wrong, I AM GRATEFUL, but at the same time... WTF?!
So of course I pushed my luck and pluged in HDMI cable and IT WORKS! The colors are back and I’m so happy I could cry.
It seems HDMI port and resolution problem were connected somehow. I don’t know and I don’t care. Just hope this lasts.

Solution