Is it harmful to have my subwoofer facing my desktop computer?

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016
My subwoofer box blows out to the left, and my desktop is sitting about twelve inches away from it. It is harmful to play lots of bass and have it blow about 12 inches from my pc?

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
I would certainly recommend against that.

1. minimal recommended distance of reflex tube starts at about 40cm against solid material +- give or take a bit depending on size, performance etc. etc... note that side plate of computer case is rather a drum than solid metal.
2. you'll be getting rogue noises from vibrating desktop reflecting the subwoofer
3. there is possible lifespan reduction of components - mechanical hard drive, any bearings in general, soft contacts... altough this point is more academical, what would hurt most would be a sine wave (regular oscilation)... which hopefully no sane person should be playing out of any audio device :) Perhaps except for hdd I'd say usability lifespan of average PC would run out long before accumulated subwoofer vibrations cause factical damage.

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016

Would putting something like a box between the two help when I play bass music?

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

I'd try with soft foam... a box would just resonate as well.

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016

I'm not worried about it sounding different, I just don't want it to harm my PC. I put a styrofoam block (Square with large square cut out of center) against my pc case, with a box in front of the styrofoam. Setup: PC Styrofoam Box Sub