Is it legal to migrate OEM OS to a new hard drive?

anton_334

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
So I have been buying parts to build a new PC. And I was wondering if it was legal to migrate the pre-installed OS (Windows 10 Home) from my laptop to my brand new hard drive. I am aware of the risks and setbacks (Activation, whether or not it will even let me, etc.) but I simply want to know if it is legal for me to do this.

Solution

Then start with the correct question:
"Can I use my Windows OEM license on a whole new PC?"

The answer is No. Especially coming from a laptop.

Solution?
Sell the laptop with the OS on it.
Use those funds to buy a new OS for your new PC.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

Most of the laptops I work on, HP business, have their Windows licenses "burned" onto the motherboard. So even if you switch hard drives, as long as you are installing the correct version of Windows it should have no problem authenticating. Cloning the hard drive also works fine. As for legal, I don't see why not seeing as you are not trying to remove it from the laptop and place it on another laptop.

anton_334

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Thanks, I'm kind of new to this sort of thing and I was wondering if it could pass as copyright infringement or something.

USAFRet

Titan

Then start with the correct question:
"Can I use my Windows OEM license on a whole new PC?"

The answer is No. Especially coming from a laptop.

Solution?
Sell the laptop with the OS on it.
Use those funds to buy a new OS for your new PC.

Solution

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

Oh and if you are going to try to put an activated Windows 10 Home hard drive into a laptop that did not come with Windows 10 home, it will probably deactivate the license because it won't match the burned on license.

USAFRet

Titan

No, he IS trying to move the license from the laptop to a new PC.
That OEM license belongs to the laptop (the motherboard).

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah I replied before Rocky asked his question.