Is it much too risky to overclock generic RAM (Apacer)?

Orbit Storm

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
About five months ago, I bought this new system on Amazon from iBuyPower. Even though some of the parts are quite likely on the cheap end, I’m okay with the $1400 tag because it runs beautifully.

However, I’m contemplating squeezing some extra power out of the system so I thought I’d start small and overclock my RAM. Problem is, it’s made by Apacer and there’s zero record on Google with the S/N I’m seeing on the sticks.

I know the system was shipped with the two DDR4 8GB sticks that appear to auto-clock at 2400 MHz and my motherboard, an MSI Z370A Pro, can support up to 4000 MHz but I’m uncertain if I can go any higher.

So, my question is, would I be better off just waiting until I can invest in better RAM or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

You're not paranoid and I wouldn't try to OC that RAM unless I didn't care if it burned and I was planning to buy RAM.
You are taking a chance, any time you OC and a bigger chance when you try to OC RAM (or any hardware), when you do not have any of its specs.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Download Cpuz and look under the Spd tab.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

In the Spd tab, there's a memory slot selection list. Select a slot that has memory installed. You'll get info on Jedec profiles. With any luck your memory has jedec profile embedded in the ram Cpuz can read. If there is a profile look at the last Jedec column to the right and post the frequency speed here or take a screenshot.

Spd frequency reads as single data rate so if 2400 was maximum speed, it'll read frequency as 1200.

If there is a profile higher than 1200 then enabling xmp in the bios should increase ram speed to whatever it says. 2400 double data rate (1200*2) is standard Jedec speed.

It's very difficult to overclock ram passed it's rated speed. If your memory is only 2400 and want ie 3200 then need to get 3200 ram.