Question is it my motherboard

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I have a Dell Precision 530 mt server, that was working just fine after I replaced the motherboard, then I put two identical DVD-R/CD-RW drives in and the secondary would not come up, the bios said unrecognized drive.

that's when the problem started, I replaced one drive with different make and model.

but now the computer will not power up using the power button, I took the brand new CMOS battery out unplugged it for 30 seconds plugged the power cable back in and it starts up automatically and will boot into windows after I set up the bios.

I fix the bios setting date/time, turn on hyperthreading, turn off all of the motherboard devices I am not using, built-in audio, com1 com2, printer port, 1394 interface, etc...

exit and the system boots into Windows XP Pro normally.

but when I power down, I cannot turn the system on using the power button, I have to unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in, having left the CMOS battery out, and it powers up and I go through resetting the CMOS, boot into windows power down and rinse and repeat.

I have an identical system that I have set up the same way and it powers up no problem.

basically, I took a parts computer that was bought for parts to fix something with the first system, and ordered everything I needed to put it up and running like the first system, new motherboard as the old one was dead, dual 3.0 GHz Xeon CPUs, etc...

both systems are almost identical, one of the two DVD/CD-ROM in each is different, and the video cards are different other than that everything else is exactly identical.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I just paid 79.00 on e-bay for that motherboard! they are offering for 19.99 good grief Charlie Brown.

Dell 3N384 Precision 530 MT Motherboard Workstation Dual CPU this one runs the Prestonia 3.0 GHz Xeon CPU's

Dell 2H882 Precision 530 Motherboard don't think this one runs the Prestonia's

Last edited: