[SOLVED] Is it normal for 500 GB SSD lifespan to drop to 98% after using 4 terabytes ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Is it normal for SSD life to drop to 98% after writing 4 terabytes after 8 mths...............this is according to HD Sentinel (free version).......

my SSD is Crucial MX500 500GB.................so SSD will normally die if health drop to what percentage - 50% or so ?

also, i saved maybe 160GB worth of data.......but free space is reducing steadily, down to 220GB........why is this so ?

the TRIM isn't working somehow but every night i'll let the PC sleep with the SSD (always powered on) to perform TRIM as advised by Crucial support...

Solution
too bad my ancient cheapo PC can't run on the 64-bit Storage Executive.........:homer:
If you are running a machine that old, just be happy that you can use an SSD at all. It will last as long as the computer most likely.

My oldest SSD is an Intel X-25M purchased, installed and used since Fall 2009.

RealBeast

Titan
Is it normal for SSD life to drop to 98% after writing 4 terabytes after 8 mths...............this is according to HD Sentinel (free version).......

my SSD is Crucial MX500 500GB.................so SSD will normally die if health drop to what percentage - 50% or so ?

also, i saved maybe 160GB worth of data.......but free space is reducing steadily, down to 220GB........why is this so ?

the TRIM isn't working somehow but every night i'll let the PC sleep with the SSD (always powered on) to perform TRIM as advised by Crucial support...
The warranty is the lesser of 5 years or 180TB written, so no worries.
It would be better to use the Crucial Storage Executive rather than HD Sentinel.

Is it normal for SSD life to drop to 98% after writing 4 terabytes after 8 mths
At that rate of use, the flash memory cells could last around 30 years, assuming something else in the drive didn't fail first.

so SSD will normally die if health drop to what percentage - 50% or so ?
The health percentage is based on how many writes the flash cells are rated to perform, and many drives will still function for some time even after reaching zero percent. On the other hand, some component in the drive could potentially fail tomorrow, so it's a good idea to keep any irreplaceable data backed up on another drive to avoid data loss.

Reactions: RealBeast

USAFRet

Titan
On the other hand, some component in the drive could potentially fail tomorrow, so it's a good idea to keep any irreplaceable data backed up on another drive to avoid data loss.
Exactly.
I had a 3 year old Sandisk 960GB SSD die suddenly. No idea why.
Prior to death, all testing showed it at 99-100% healthy.

Then, it simply died. Nothing I tried could make it come back to life.

The nightly backup, however, returned all 605GB data that was on it, at exactly the same state as it was at 4AM that morning.

Given all the free software, and inexpensive large hard drives...there is NO reason not to have all that data backed up, all the time.

Props to Sandisk....3 year warranty, the drive died at 3 years + 33 days.
I knew it was out of warranty, they knew it...they gave me a new drive anyway.

Reactions: RealBeast

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
At that rate of use, the flash memory cells could last around 30 years, assuming something else in the drive didn't fail first.

The health percentage is based on how many writes the flash cells are rated to perform, and many drives will still function for some time even after reaching zero percent. On the other hand, some component in the drive could potentially fail tomorrow, so it's a good idea to keep any irreplaceable data backed up on another drive to avoid data loss.

roger...............roger..............by the way, any idea how long do recent SSDs tend to last ?...........possible to last for 8 years or so ?

USAFRet

Titan
In some 'use SSDs to destruction' tests a couple years ago, Intel then had a rather annoying policy in software drivers of making many Intel SSDs 'read only' once it's TBW value had been reached, actual lack of failures be damned, apparently...
And people wildly overestimate the importance of that TBW number, and their actual use.

All 7 of my drives combined, some in 24/7 use since 2014, barely exceed the warranty TBW of a single instance of the oldest/smallest250GB 840 EVO. 75TBW.
Currently, all 7 combined total to 85TBW. Still running just like new.
Obviously, the warranty time is long gone for some of them.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
And people wildly overestimate the importance of that TBW number, and their actual use.

All 7 of my drives combined, some in 24/7 use since 2014, barely exceed the warranty TBW of a single instance of the oldest/smallest250GB 840 EVO. 75TBW.
Currently, all 7 combined total to 85TBW. Still running just like new.
Obviously, the warranty time is long gone for some of them.

85 TBW divided by 7 SSDs...........of course they're running like new.........so little lifetime writes over several years ?