[SOLVED] Is it normal for a high end laptop cpu to run at 95 celsius?

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I bought an MSI GE66 RAIDER this week, it has an i7 10750H and an rtx 3070 in it. It runs games ect great but in dragon center I noticed in certain games that are cpu heavy the cpu gets as hot as 95 celsius and even hit 100 for a split second. Thats with fans maxed out at 6k rpms. Is this a problem that I need face before return period is up or do high end gaming laptop cpus run hot? I seem mixed answers everywhere and idk what to think since I am not educated in this.

Solution
It really depends. For a laptop it should be okay, as long as it doesn't go above 100°C and stay there for too long.

Laptops, even gaming ones, typically tend to have less cooling and/or less efficient cooling systems due to lack of space. Small amounts of space mean more concentrated heat even with higher airflow.

Just keep an eye on it if you're worried but it should be fine. You may need to adjust your settings, though most modern CPUs will start to thermal throttle above a certain temperature and they will adjust themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as it isn't pegged above 95-100°C for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
It really depends. For a laptop it should be okay, as long as it doesn't go above 100°C and stay there for too long.

Laptops, even gaming ones, typically tend to have less cooling and/or less efficient cooling systems due to lack of space. Small amounts of space mean more concentrated heat even with higher airflow.

Just keep an eye on it if you're worried but it should be fine. You may need to adjust your settings, though most modern CPUs will start to thermal throttle above a certain temperature and they will adjust themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as it isn't pegged above 95-100°C for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps.

Solution