[SOLVED] Is it normal for my CPU idle temps AFTER gaming to be way higher than idle after boot?

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
I have a Ryzen 3600 in a Fractal Design Core 3500 case, a Hyper 212 Evo heatsink with a Noctua NF-P12 a fan, and one intake, one outtake case fans that are Noctua NF-P14 both.

I'm messing around with temp monitoring and fan curves and stuff since the fans are new, it's getting hot and i never cared much about temps before. My fan curves are high, but they are pretty silent and I get CPU idle temps of 38-39 when in idle shortly after boot and until i start playing games. Once I do, though, and turn off the game, even after minutes of idling the CPU never goes back to 38-39, it stays at 42 or so - which is now 48-52 while writing this post.

Why is that? Shouldn't the whole heat caused by gaming get dissipated and the system return to its baseline of 38-39? Is it normal for some heat to not be dissipated (meaning "idle after boot" temps aren't achievable outside of right after boot) or does this mean there's something off with my cooling?

Solution
The ambient air in and around the PC can be warmer after use, the heatsink isnt fully "saturated" on a cold boot so it has more latent heat capacity, the GPU could be warmer, heating the case further, or even something else like more background processes running.

A few C difference like that is nothing to be concerned about.
The ambient air in and around the PC can be warmer after use, the heatsink isnt fully "saturated" on a cold boot so it has more latent heat capacity, the GPU could be warmer, heating the case further, or even something else like more background processes running.

A few C difference like that is nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: KyaraM
Solution