Is it normal for my i5-8400 to hover at 3.8 - 3.98 ghz?

Bruno Vincent

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I have an i5-8400 desktop and it hovers at 3.8 - 3.98 ghz all the time.

Never lower than 3.8 never higher than 3.98...

I thought these guys had turbo boost or hyper threading?

I read somewhere that this CPU has base clock of 2.8?

Is my machine over revving and stuck on high GHZ?

Does't crash or run hot or nothing, blazing fast!

Solution
For sake of purposes, if you were walking would it be easier if you had skate and just roll away or walk more?
Its called intel speed step technology.
It benefits that it stays cooler and less energy.
Probably yes, but irrelevant, yes runs cooler, Well it has to but doesn't matter much, you never know when your parts can die.
Its not from windows, its actually in bios of your motherboard as default set as many other motherboard.
But you can set your CPU running always 4Ghz~ at set voltage.
Just turn off intel speed step by setting your power plan to high perfomance as nathan suggested you, or in bios (if you are willing).

Nathan Fernandes

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

Go to power options in the control panel and set your power plan to "Balanced"

Its called turbo boost it can up to 4Ghz, soo roughly 3.99~, and as PC's have power saving mode the multiplier x BCLK (depens from cpu)that decides will it go max speed or saving mode, as it goes saving the voltage drops, soo its pretty normal if you wanna keep it that way.
And it depends what are you doing.

Bruno Vincent

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

I like the speed, what is the benefit of balanced power saving mode on a desktop?

Save electricity bills? Run cooler? Makes desktop last longer?

There's no battery on this, I can't see why you would ant to be on power saver mode?

For sake of purposes, if you were walking would it be easier if you had skate and just roll away or walk more?
Its called intel speed step technology.
It benefits that it stays cooler and less energy.
Probably yes, but irrelevant, yes runs cooler, Well it has to but doesn't matter much, you never know when your parts can die.
Its not from windows, its actually in bios of your motherboard as default set as many other motherboard.
But you can set your CPU running always 4Ghz~ at set voltage.
Just turn off intel speed step by setting your power plan to high perfomance as nathan suggested you, or in bios (if you are willing).

Solution