Is it normal for my second hard drive text to be blue?

Leedizzle

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Sorry, I am a hardcore newbie when it comes to computers. I recently used disk management tool to partition a second hard drive for extra space. It is NTFS and labled as Extra Space(F:).

When I finished the quick format the Extra Space(F:) text is blue and whatever file I put in there has their text turned to blue and it seems to only copy files over from the original location.

I would like to use this second hard drive for gaming so I can place games in that folder so I can have space left in my I guess first hard drive. Should I have done something different?

Edit: It seems I have enabled compression on the folder and that is why it was like that, but can anyone explain why it seems to only copy files over instead of moving them over completely to my new hard drive from my old one?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
First of all compression is not good. That's like the 90's when it was very cool to use compression to squeeze more data and files to your hd. That was then enthusiast were doing, and no I'm not one of them. Don't do it. Some programs and games are sensitive to this and might permanently loss parts of it's data when compressed.

So you're using two hard drives, one for OS and one for games. From my experience it's better to use one hard drive for OS, games and other programs and then use the other one for backup, storage and other important files. Why, because the OS hard drive along with it's programs and games is the one that is used primarily and that between the two it's more likely the one to failed due to duration of use. Unless you're running out of space on your OS drive then I guess you have no choice but having to use the other drive to install your games on.

My drive is set up to where I'm using the OS, programs and games on one and backup and storage on the other.

Do you have a screen shot for this blue text thing?

Leedizzle

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
It seemed like I turned on the compression thing and that is why it was blue, but is it normal for the second hard drive to copy files over from the main hard drive instead of just the file being transferred over?

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
The blue text is just a setting. If you want to turn it off go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Uncheck "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color".

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It seemed like I turned on the compression thing and that is why it was blue, but is it normal for the second hard drive to copy files over from the main hard drive instead of just the file being transferred over?

That normal to do that. Instead of transferring the files it basically copies it. Why. So that when in the middle of transferring files and sometimes goes wrong, then the files wont be lost. So basically just copy the files and then once you done it then just delete the files being copied.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Cool slideshow chuck! My water parts all arrive tomorrow :) But with thanksgiving, I may not have it in until monday.

Cool. Don't rush and take your time. Make a plan of attack, so that you'll install your water cooling free of hassles and disappointments. Mine took me 3 hours but mainly of bleeding the air out the loop. And you should make a video on that one step by step and maybe Tom's will use it for sticky.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
First of all compression is not good. That's like the 90's when it was very cool to use compression to squeeze more data and files to your hd. That was then enthusiast were doing, and no I'm not one of them. Don't do it. Some programs and games are sensitive to this and might permanently loss parts of it's data when compressed.
I wouldn't worry about that. Since as far back as Windows NT the compression routines have become a core part of the operating system. I wouldn't use compression on database files, particularly large ones, due to performance reasons. And bear in mind that many files on your systems are already compressed, including some EXE's as well as CAB files, JPGs, MP3s, AVIs, etc. And many games actually keep much of their data already compressed. Trying to compress all that is wasteful of CPU. But NT/2K/XP/2K3/Vista compression really does not increase the risk of data loss. The compression just involves a mild CPU hit.

If you're a performance freak, definitely do turn off compression. Just right-click the topmost blue folder, go to Proerties, Advanced, and remove the check-mark from the "Compress..." setting. When you hit OK or Apply it'll ask if you want likewise for all the files and subfolders. Just say yes.

-Brad