[SOLVED] Is it normal for thermal paste to dry up within one year?

Sep 2, 2020
Hello everyone, I recently had my PC fixed and was told the thermal paste for the water cooling unit had dried up and needed replacing. This was causing my computer to turn off without warning due to CPU overheating.

It was repaired under warranty but I'm still curious as to how something like this could occur on such a new system.

Is it unusual for this to happen so soon and what could have caused this to dry up so rapidly? I've seen that 2-3 years is the normal lifespan of thermal paste.

Could this have caused any permanent damage to the CPU?

Solution
Depends on quality, but even then it would only dry up properly when the cooler has been removed.
I found my old MB in the attic and it had the cooler still on, I took it off and the stock paste was OK, was a little dry. After like a minute of cooler removed it dried up.

It could be that whoever installed the water cooler may have not seated it correctly in the first place.
Hello everyone, I recently had my PC fixed and was told the thermal paste for the water cooling unit had dried up and needed replacing. This was causing my computer to turn off without warning due to CPU overheating.

It was repaired under warranty but I'm still curious as to how something like this could occur on such a new system.

Is it unusual for this to happen so soon and what could have caused this to dry up so rapidly? I've seen that 2-3 years is the normal lifespan of thermal paste.

Could this have caused any permanent damage to the CPU?
Depends on paste quality, not all are same.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Liudom

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Depends on quality, but even then it would only dry up properly when the cooler has been removed.
I found my old MB in the attic and it had the cooler still on, I took it off and the stock paste was OK, was a little dry. After like a minute of cooler removed it dried up.

It could be that whoever installed the water cooler may have not seated it correctly in the first place.

Reactions: Reece5556255123
Solution