[SOLVED] Is it OK for my AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU to use over 440+ W on CPU Package?

bestmank

Prominent
Nov 11, 2020
Hello, I constantly use Open Hardware Monitor to monitor my system temps and others. Today I took a look over the app reports and I saw that my CPU package used 445 W. Is it safe and normal or what could just happened to use such a high power Wattage? Can my processor be damaged on that high power usage? And if you ask, no, I didn't overclocked my processor.
Thanks in advance for answers!
TXySiS9.png

Solution
It's likely buggy reporting from your motherboard. If you had been truly pulling a sustained 445W, your max package temp would be MUCH higher than 69.5C, because there's no cooler I know of (maybe LN2?) that can dissipate that much heat effectively. I once had a board that reported one of its system temps as -31C, and another that would log a 300-something-C max when HWMonitor started up.

Another possibility (and anyone better-versed in the inner workings of HWM and/or AMD boost tech please correct me) is that since HWM grabs instantaneous values, it could have polled at the exact moment your processor went on all-core boost, and you did draw that much power for a very brief instant. Either way, give your processor a sustained load...

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
It's likely buggy reporting from your motherboard. If you had been truly pulling a sustained 445W, your max package temp would be MUCH higher than 69.5C, because there's no cooler I know of (maybe LN2?) that can dissipate that much heat effectively. I once had a board that reported one of its system temps as -31C, and another that would log a 300-something-C max when HWMonitor started up.

Another possibility (and anyone better-versed in the inner workings of HWM and/or AMD boost tech please correct me) is that since HWM grabs instantaneous values, it could have polled at the exact moment your processor went on all-core boost, and you did draw that much power for a very brief instant. Either way, give your processor a sustained load and watch the live value. If power and temp stay in range, you're fine.

Reactions: bestmank
Solution

bestmank

Prominent
Nov 11, 2020

Another possibility (and anyone better-versed in the inner workings of HWM and/or AMD boost tech please correct me) is that since HWM grabs instantaneous values, it could have polled at the exact moment your processor went on all-core boost, and you did draw that much power for a very brief instant. Either way, give your processor a sustained load and watch the live value. If power and temp stay in range, you're fine.
Alright, thank you for clarifying! Maybe as you say the mobo was reporting fake data and I don't have to worry about that.