[SOLVED] Is it ok if my AIO does a gurgling noise on startup for only like 1 second?

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
I had my AIO at the front and tubes facing down, but I bought a new case and put my AIO at the top. When I turn on my pc it makes a gurgling noise for 1 second and then stops, my temps are low so i just want to ask if its ok for that noise to happen?

Solution
how come if even on MSI's website they showed the AIO mounted on the top, also a lot of people have been putting the AIO on the top.
1)Because marketing doesn't really communicate with engineering. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say marketing doesn't really listen? Their primary goal, which differs from engineering, is to make the product 'pop'. Function is secondary.
⬆️
2)Subjective: The product probably looks more attractive at the top, for both the marketing team and PC owners.
⬇️
3)Herd mentality. People have been going around preaching/idolizing top mount, and few ever seem to second guess why... some folks don't like to think and do their own testing. There's always 'what's best for this, or what's best for that'...

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to share a video or a picture of how the AIO is oriented in your chassis since it could be an indication of the pump having an air bubble recirculate in your pump chamber, hence the gurgle. Make and model of your AIO as well?

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Uhh, you won't be able to keep it up there.
The pump is in the radiator on that particular model, and that gurgling is air passing through. If you hope to keep it for longer than a year, put it back like you had it.
how come if even on MSI's website they showed the AIO mounted on the top, also a lot of people have been putting the AIO on the top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Because marketing doesn't really communicate with engineering. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say marketing doesn't really listen? Their primary goal, which differs from engineering, is to make the product 'pop'. Function is secondary.
⬆️
2)Subjective: The product probably looks more attractive at the top, for both the marketing team and PC owners.
⬇️
3)Herd mentality. People have been going around preaching/idolizing top mount, and few ever seem to second guess why... some folks don't like to think and do their own testing. There's always 'what's best for this, or what's best for that', never questioning that things might be a little different in their use case. I know this isn't everyone, but there's visually too much of this going on.

I'd bet for many users, front mount is more efficient, as long as they don't go too big on the AIO(over 280mm).
Unless one is doing folding at home or hours long blender renders, the cpu doesn't push as much heat in the PC as the gpu does.
Today, we have very few cpus that consistently push over 200w(except in specific scenarios) and gpus pushing 250w+ with ease and dumping their waste heat inside - top mount AIO is not as efficient.
A)Some gpu exhaust passes through top AIO.
B)Some cpu exhaust passes through the gpu cooler.
Based on what you use your PC for, which is the lesser of the 2 evils, I'd ask, but I suppose none of this really matters too much when the heat slowly, and ultimately, warms up your room and makes its way back inside the PC anyway(unless there's a means of directly exhausting that heat out of the room).

Solution

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021

3)Herd mentality. People have been going around preaching/idolizing top mount, and few ever seem to second guess why... some folks don't like to think and do their own testing. There's always 'what's best for this, or what's best for that', never questioning that things might be a little different in their use case. I know this isn't everyone, but there's visually too much of this going on.

I'd bet for many users, front mount is more efficient, as long as they don't go too big on the AIO(over 280mm).
Unless one is doing folding at home or hours long blender renders, the cpu doesn't push as much heat in the PC as the gpu does.
Today, we have very few cpus that consistently push over 200w(except in specific scenarios) and gpus pushing 250w+ with ease and dumping their waste heat inside - top mount AIO is not as efficient.
A)Some gpu exhaust passes through top AIO.
B)Some cpu exhaust passes through the gpu cooler.
Based on what you use your PC for, which is the lesser of the 2 evils, I'd ask, but I suppose none of this really matters too much when the heat slowly, and ultimately, warms up your room and makes its way back inside the PC anyway(unless there's a means of directly exhausting that heat out of the room).
I switched the orientation of the rad yesterday after having it mounted on the front, the gurpling noise happens for less than a second only on startup, so I dont really get how the AIO could fail after a year of use.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
so I dont really get how the AIO could fail after a year of use.
-You want to avoid air getting into the pump at all times. It increases friction and motor thermals = more wear and tear.
-AIOs are not topped off with fluid. There is some air present. Changes in pressure would make them pop if they were completely topped off.
-Air makes its way to the highest point of the loop. Sometimes it does need help getting there; some threads even have suggestions to move or shake the AIO around to help with this.
-On Msi's Coreliquid R, RH, C, and P models, and NZXT's Kraken M22, the pump is in a little black cube built in to the radiator. There also seems to be a QC issue with these units, but it may be a coincidence with people top mounting and unknowingly choking these units.

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
-You want to avoid air getting into the pump at all times. It increases friction and motor thermals = more wear and tear.
-AIOs are not topped off with fluid. There is some air present. Changes in pressure would make them pop if they were completely topped off.
-Air makes its way to the highest point of the loop. Sometimes it does need help getting there; some threads even have suggestions to move or shake the AIO around to help with this.
-On Msi's Coreliquid R, RH, C, and P models, and NZXT's Kraken M22, the pump is in a little black cube built in to the radiator. There also seems to be a QC issue with these units, but it may be a coincidence with people top mounting and unknowingly choking these units.
Ok thanks, you just scared me because I really don't want it to break, the gurpling noise is only for less than a second and temps are fine, so imma leave it as it is. Thanks for the advice tho.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok thanks, you just scared me because I really don't want it to break, the gurpling noise is only for less than a second and temps are fine, so imma leave it as it is. Thanks for the advice tho.
It won't stay that way for long. There are many threads involving failures with the above mentioned Coreliquid models - no thanks to Msi's aggressive pricing - mentioned. Only the S and K models don't have the pump in the radiator.

Well, keep in mind what I said if you don't want to move it to the front. Good luck!