[SOLVED] Is it ok if these parts on my gpu have leaked/melted? (are those coils?)

Mar 30, 2020
Is this safe for gpu?

1s49kz294x7u6tb6g.jpg

Mar 30, 2020
I would not count on it having a long life. At some point, it got unusually hot.

Like your other thread, what does the heatsink look like?
I would not count on it having a long life. At some point, it got unusually hot.

here's a pic
szp7bsbiz3opjfe6g.jpg

Mar 30, 2020
Fairly easy repair if you have the tools. Parts are not expensive but labor is. If nothing else is wrong of course.
Edit: Asking for much power without appropriate cooling leads to this.
Were the thermal pads touching those properly?
nope, coils just get blown by air i guess. Gpu itself runs pretty hot - up to 90C, but i've read that it's normal for GTX 580.

qi6x885yhcynsbm6g.jpg

nope, coils just get blown by air i guess. Gpu itself runs pretty hot - up to 90C, but i've read that it's normal for GTX 580.
Those coils do not get very hot but the mosfets (usually a pair or more per coil, the high and the low) do. MOSFETs are the ones that deliver power to the coil-capacitor tandem, and they get hot under load. They are usually cooled by the same heatsink as the GPU or a separate one but in this case they do not have a separate heatsink and share the cooler. Unfortunately they are not temp-monitored in most cases.
Edit: is this just a fan assembly above the VRM with no heatsink? Is it plastic or metal? Does it have thermal pads to the VRM? It is hard to see. If it is plastic I would try to get a better cooling solution.
I used to see something like this or a whole block covering all components with thermal pads.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
Is there any sign of damage on the backside of the PCB?
Not visible.
ea6nsehtolc2f7n6g.jpg

Edit: is this just a fan assembly above the VRM with no heatsink? Is it plastic or metal? Does it have thermal pads to the VRM?
Cover plate is aluminum. There are thermal pads between mosfets and metal plate. you can google Zotac GTX 580 for disassemby pics, it's kind of hard to explain and i don't have photos with thermal pads.
There's also this part of metal where paint got deformed
goey59ygq6czo806g.jpg

Is there any sign of damage on the backside of the PCB?
Not visible.
It is a multilayer board. That it what I meant under “if nothing else is wrong”.

To answer your original question, it is not normal. It is a well overheated GPU VRM phase and maybe a shot mosfet or two. The thermal pad has to be replaced for sure before you reassemble it.

Last edited:
Solution