[SOLVED] Is it ok to access a file from the WinSxS folder? What exactly happens if you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2020
I need your help a bit regarding the WinSxS folder and the files that can be found in it. I am using windows 10 and I was trying to start the dxdiag program from the windows search bar (like i usually do) but i accidently clicked on the dxdiag.exe located in the WinSxS folder, nothing happened, then i opened task manager and it showed me that dxdiag is running in the background (under the background proccess column). After that I have turn off my PC and when i turned it back on later, it showed me a small dxdiag window with a yes or no question but no message in it, so i decieded to end task it from the task manager. I am a bit confused now, i hope i didn't do anything wrong. Is it ok to access a file from the WinSxS folder? What exactly happens if you do?

Feb 2, 2020
Thank you , i have already done that, the dxdiag is not there, it probably appeared at windows start-up because it remained in the task manager's background process when i turned off my PC. But i would like to know about the WinSxS files, if is is ok to access them and what happnes if I do, i hope it won't cause any damage to windows.

Feb 2, 2020
You might want to see what your options for startup are in Task manager. Here's how you can get to it.
Thank you , i have already done that, the dxdiag is not there, it probably appeared at windows start-up because it remained in the task manager's background process when i turned off my PC. But i would like to know about the WinSxS files, if is is ok to access them and what happnes if I do, i hope it won't cause any damage to windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.