[SOLVED] Is it OK to hold an SSD in place with sticky tape?

halfbeing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Is there any reason why I shouldn't save myself the few euros it costs to buy a disk cradle by fixing a 2.5" SSD in place in a 3.5" slot in a desktop computer with sticky tape? I just want to check that I wouldn't accidentally bring some factor into play, such as overheating, that would cause the drive to fail.

Solution
I actually did this temporally as I didn't have an adapter either. I would say as long as you're not transporting the system anywhere and are very careful while moving the pc somewhere in your house, you should be fine. It worked just fine for me. But if your going to transport it in the future, then make sure you get an adapter before transporting it. I used double sided sticky tape.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I actually did this temporally as I didn't have an adapter either. I would say as long as you're not transporting the system anywhere and are very careful while moving the pc somewhere in your house, you should be fine. It worked just fine for me. But if your going to transport it in the future, then make sure you get an adapter before transporting it. I used double sided sticky tape.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have used sticky tape, zip ties, and other methods of screwing to the frame slots when in a pinch. I would be certain that the mounting location does not include a propensity for a fall, and in particular making sure it won't hit or obstruct other components if it did.