Question Is it ok to install old drivers

Feb 25, 2023
Hi, I want to try installing old drivers for my AMD components because the new ones kept crashing.
Will the old drivers work with the other branded components?

My AMD Components are the GPU Rx 6950XT
And the CPU Ryzen 7700x
And my Motherboard is ASUS

Last edited:
Hi, I want to try installing old drivers for my AMD components because the new ones kept crashing.
Will the old drivers work with the other branded components?

My AMD Components are the GPU Rx 6950XT
And the CPU Ryzen 7700x
And my Motherboard is ASUS
Yes you can install old drivers, you can download them from the AMD support web site. Be sure to do a clean uninstall of the old drivers first using DDU...Display Driver Uninstaller.

However, it might not be necessary. One of the recent updates to Win11 causes the overclock settings in the Adrenalin app to reset at every start up similar to what it does if the drivers actually crash. None of the other settings seem to be affected by it, just overclock settings. So if that's what you're seeing then it's not the drivers just another Windows bug.

Until Microsoft gives in and fixes their mistake the way I've gone is to use MSI Afterburner for overclocking instead of the Adrenaline app. That doesn't stop the resetting in the Adrenalin app at every start up - and the notification you might get - but at least AB's overclock settings aren't affected.

Last edited: