[SOLVED] Is it ok to max out ram in one slot when you have two available ?

Apr 25, 2020
Is it ok to max out ram in one slot when you have two available ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Normally you can't use the max total amount of supported ram using 1 dimm. For example a motherboard has 2 dimm slots and a max of 32Gb, this usually means each dimm will support a max of 16Gb giving you 32Gb total. But using a single dimm would limit you to 16Gb.
There is also the performance impact of using 1 dimm(single channel) vs 2(dual channel) The amount this will impact performance depends on the platform and program.

bignastyid

Titan
Normally you can't use the max total amount of supported ram using 1 dimm. For example a motherboard has 2 dimm slots and a max of 32Gb, this usually means each dimm will support a max of 16Gb giving you 32Gb total. But using a single dimm would limit you to 16Gb.
There is also the performance impact of using 1 dimm(single channel) vs 2(dual channel) The amount this will impact performance depends on the platform and program.

Solution
Apr 25, 2020
name and model of motheboard also the ram you gone put in .
It's a hp pro 3500 . With a gtx 650 graphix card , solid state HD , and a 600 power supply and a i5- 3470 . running windows ten. I have reason to believe i could have a bad RAM slot . I'm hoping to avoid burning another one out. (I just picked this thing up yesterday because my laptop couldn't handle the load i was putting on it, It wouldn't work at first , i tracked it down to having either a bad Ram card , or it could be because one was a 2R-X8 and the other a 1Rx8 ...Maybe? ) but when i tried another matching card i had the same result , i'm afraid i'm burning them out somehow. Do i nee to crack it back open and get you more info? I couldn't find a good answer on Google .