[SOLVED] Is it ok to set a ryzen 5 3600 to 4.3ghz @1.3v?

Jul 6, 2020
Hi im new to the overclocking world and im curious about the oc settings that i currently use right now. currently im running the ryzen 5 3600 on 4.3ghz at 1.3v. i got a pretty decent temp on full load at 73 to 75c. fyi i use the cooler master hyper 212 turbo.
My Specs :
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Gskill RipjawsV 16gb
RTX 2060 super

Solution

Any overclock is always a risk...anyone engaging in the practice needs to realize running outside manufacturer specs is inherently dangerous and voids their warranty.

The Stilt hammered his chip intentionally pushing max core temps to see how the chip would handle it. I hope most people would never run a chip with temps in the 95c range. The OP stated he's maxing at 80ish...personally I don't think it's risking the cpu at that temp...but yeah overclocking always carries risk.

My recommendation to the OP if he wants to run a 24/7 OC would...
Jul 6, 2020
I'm skeptical you're at 4.3 on a 3600 at 1.3v with a hyper 212 cooler...that might be what you set, but the board is probably pushing a lot more volts than that. What are you using to read these voltages and clock speeds ?
I'm pretty skeptical too. but i checked it in ryzen master, cpuz, and also the bios. it runs at 1.3v.

Jul 6, 2020
Have you done stability testing at 100% load ? If you can run at full load and be stable you've got the best 3600 I've read about...it would make me wonder if AMD has improved yields to the point of not needing to bin for the X chips
i stress test the cpu for 3 hours straight. i use aida64,cinebench r20, and the bench from cpu z. i also game on it. even with full load i got a maximum temp of 80-81c with the ambient temp of 30c. im quite impressed on my 3600 performance. But my real question is although it is stable, is it a good idea to use it as a daily settings for long term use? cause im planning to use this cpu for at least another 1.5 or 2 years.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:

Any overclock is always a risk...anyone engaging in the practice needs to realize running outside manufacturer specs is inherently dangerous and voids their warranty.

The Stilt hammered his chip intentionally pushing max core temps to see how the chip would handle it. I hope most people would never run a chip with temps in the 95c range. The OP stated he's maxing at 80ish...personally I don't think it's risking the cpu at that temp...but yeah overclocking always carries risk.

My recommendation to the OP if he wants to run a 24/7 OC would be to try and improve cooling...something like the NH 15 SE-AM4 or a 240mm AIO would likely knock a few degrees off.

Alternatively, as Phaaze stated above you, may find that improving cooling and tuning a good set of high quality 3600mhz memory will get you very close to, if not the same, performance as the manual overclock.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution