is it ok to use a PSU that went POP but still works?

Dec 15, 2018
about a month ago i ordered a new psu to replace my older one that had made a pop sound before it died. well now my replacement just made the same noise except it is still working. - i tuned it on and off several times with no problems or burnt smells. and i think i know what cause the first one to blow out: a roach. cause when looking a my new one, i see a couple of roaches hanging out around it. i'm in the process of killing them now. so what i want to know is can i still use it once i get rid of the possible cause? (roaches)

i can't afford to buy a new one right now which is why i'm asking.

Solution
There may be other issues or things to consider.

Just for the record:

Make, model, wattage, age, condition of the PSU's?

Did you actually find any "fried" roaches? Anywhere in the case or even inside the PSU? Likely attracted to the warmth if anything...

I would be very leery about using a possibly defective or damaged PSU. Old or new.

Ralston18

Titan
There may be other issues or things to consider.

Just for the record:

Make, model, wattage, age, condition of the PSU's?

Did you actually find any "fried" roaches? Anywhere in the case or even inside the PSU? Likely attracted to the warmth if anything...

I would be very leery about using a possibly defective or damaged PSU. Old or new.

Solution
Dec 15, 2018

i have a 400w ATX0300D5WC. i bought it off ebay and it's suppose to be new. based on the little i told you, whats the worse that can happen if i decide to use it and what are the chances of it happening? just curious.

oh, and my computer is a HP pro 3000 MT. i also just switched from a core2duo to a quadcore (if that means anything).

Ralston18

Titan
For the most part, a 400 watt PSU is likely too low of a wattage for most computers. (Caveat being that your hardware specs are unknown.)

And the PSU being "off ebay" there is always, in my mind anyway, some doubt as to the PSU's quality and reliability.

Worse that can happen - PSU overheats, fails, burns, etc. and destroys the computer. Could start a fire even.

Chance of happening - unknown. But I would not take any such risk.

And having problems with two PSU's may indicate some other root problem: electrical circuit problem, wall outlet problem, a problem with any interim power bars, or surge protectors.

Dec 15, 2018

thanks 4 the advice.
i remember hearing a couple of times that roaches can blow out a psu. and i did see a couple of roaches. so isn't that a more likely cause?

Ralston18

Titan
Honestly do not know. Have not had that problem per se but I am aware that roaches can infest anything and anywhere.

Even clean environments.

Not sure about the electrical conductivity of roaches (or other insects) per se.

Have a family member needing a science fair project..... On second thought - nevermind.

FYI:

https://www.solutionsstores.com/knowledge-base/cockroaches/cockroaches-in-your-electronics-save-your-gadgets-with-these-tips

http://www.atexpestmanagement.com/do-cockroaches-cause-home-damage-spread-disease-destroy-electronics-in-round-rock-tx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7mynFFNCg

If you live in an area where roaches are prevalent - take protective actions to safeguard your electronics.