[SOLVED] Is it OK to use SATA 1 cable on SATA 3

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Hard drive : SATA 3.
Windows : Windows 10 home 64 b. 21H1, one SSD

Two PCs, same brand & model & hard drives.

PC 1 is having issue, cannot boot. PC 2 is normal. Files on PC 1 are stored on SATS 3 drive. I hope to copy files from PC 1 to PC 2 by a SATA 1 cable which used in the years of Windows 7.
Do not know whether the plugs & sockets on the cable used on SATA 1 are compatible with the plugs & sockets of SATA 3.

Is the cable used on SATA 1 compatible to be used on SATA 3 ?
Are there specific SATA 3 cables?

Thanks.

Solution
Do not know whether the plugs & sockets on the cable used on SATA 1 are compatible with the plugs & sockets of SATA 3.
Connectors are the same, but SATA 3 cables have better shielding against signal cross-talk, capable to operate at higher data transfer speeds.
So if you use SATA1 cables (not certified for SATA3 operation) with SATA3 compatible hardware (SATA3 controller and SATA3 drive),
then there are possible data transmission errors. Transfer mode should switch to lower SATA version automatically though.
You'll probably see UDMA CRC errors reported in SMART.
Connectors are the same, but SATA 3 cables have better shielding against signal cross-talk, capable to operate at higher data transfer speeds.
So if you use SATA1 cables (not certified for SATA3 operation) with SATA3 compatible hardware (SATA3 controller and SATA3 drive),
then there are possible data transmission errors. Transfer mode should switch to lower SATA version automatically though.
You'll probably see UDMA CRC errors reported in SMART.

Solution

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Thank you, SkyNetRising.

"signal cross-talk, "
Speed, fast or slow, is not much a concern to me. But signal cross talk is.
How bad is it?
The files that I want to copy are photographic RAW files. They images of negative film, shot 30 to 40 years ago, and digitized & converted to digital images in RAW format. Some data might be lost during the copy process if the cross talk is bad enough.

The UDMA CRC error is bearable since this is only a temporary one time job.

Will the UDMA CRC error cause any trouble?

TRENDING THREADS