Is it okay if i just use the stock cooler if i dont overclock

Jargain

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I am gonna build my first pc, and i dont know if i need the an aftermarket cooler if i am not gonna overclock, so my question is: will the stock cooler be able to keep the temperature under 75 degrees under load?

I am planning to put an i5-7500 in the build.

Thanks in advance to all replies!

Jargain

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Cant you still overclock using overclock programs like MSI Afterburner and such?

Afterburner applies to graphics cards, not the cpu.
You can not raise the multiplier on your cpu.
Possibly increasing BCLK might give you 2%

Stock cooler will work well enough.
The only reason to change would be for quieter operation.

Not necessarily. You need to read up on overclocking. Generally you would overclock by changing the multiplier. The multiplier on your CPU is locked. You could in theory overclock by changing base clock, but I doubt you get far. This however is assuming your motherboard will allow this change. Intel was wanting locked out on non-K chips, and so were many motherboard manufacturers.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

LOL! this is a CPU not a Graphics card. No you cant overclock non K series intel iCPUs. You can only overclock them if your motherboard allows BCLK overclocking. But raising the BCLK will overclock pretty much Everything on the board. Including your SATA inputs for Hardrives, your RAM will also get Overclocked and stability will be difficult with all these things that shouldn't be running at that speed.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Anyway the answer is Yes you can use the stock cooler if you do not Overclock. The temperatures should be nice and low.
As long as you have decent airflow in your case, and your house isn't above 70 celsius :lol:

The only thing I would change is the thermal paste. You will want a different paste than the one included.
I recommend this diamond paste it is amazing. I used to swear by arctic silver 5. Then i found this it last significantly longer and cools way better.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Diamond-Carat-Compound/dp/B0042IEVD8

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

you might wanna edit your answer @J_E_D70 it includes misinformation.

Because you can Overclock it using BCLK.
Certain ASRock motherboards will allow it. Other brands might too.
1xrhovm7f79y.jpg

Aside from that it's correct simple and to the point. +1

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Either way saying that you can't Overclock it simply because you don't like the method doesn't make it true.

Also Bclk overclocking is alive and well. I really don't know what you're talking about. If it wasn't alive and well. Why do you think intel is trying so hard to stop people from using it?

Because people are seeing the same gains on Non K series processors without the premium.

And why do you think motherboard manufacturers are going through the extra trouble to implement it?

Because people use it. Even if you think they don't.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

Yeah 'twas recent. Found out myself cause I was researching my skylake chip.
no prob, we're all here to learn ^-^