Is it okay to add different brands of RAM even if you already have 2 other sticks of a different brand?

Aug 8, 2018
I want to add more RAM to my computer but I don't have a large budget and don't need more than 16GB of RAM anyway. The problem I don't quite understand is that I'm not sure if it's okay to add another model and brand type besides the two I already have. I cannot figure out the exact model just that they're DDR3.

I was wondering if it would be okay that as long as I had 2 more of the same model if it would be okay and would work. My motherboard is MSI MS-7823 and my processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4509 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz.

And another thing is if the other 2 models were slower than the newer models I get would that make all of them slower or allow the newer two to stay the faster speed.

If you could answer these questions for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Ideally you want the RAM to be matched from the supplier.

However, I have mixed and matched all sorts of different memory with similar specs and have had those machines work fine for years.

Sometimes this is trial by error.

as far as the speed...I think it will go to the speed of the lowest module....but....I'm not sure if that's "within" a channel or not.

Maybe someone else knows this.
Ideally you want the RAM to be matched from the supplier.

However, I have mixed and matched all sorts of different memory with similar specs and have had those machines work fine for years.

Sometimes this is trial by error.

as far as the speed...I think it will go to the speed of the lowest module....but....I'm not sure if that's "within" a channel or not.

Maybe someone else knows this.

Solution